Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Fabian Christ <fc...@apache.org> on 2017/05/09 07:36:25 UTC

[REPORT] Apache Stanbol - May 2017

Hi Stanbolers,

I submitted the following report to the board:

------------

Status report for the Apache Stanbol Project - May, 2017

Apache Stanbol provides a set of reusable components for semantic content
management.

We started a discussion about who is using Stanbol and encouraged the
people who actively use (and depend) on Stanbol to contribute and
become part of the developer community.

Unfortunately, the technological barrier is rather high and people
are a little bit overwhelmed with the large code base and the
number of OSGi bundles. So people need time to get familiar
with that.

This may be one reason why not much happened since then. No new
contributions from people outside the PMC were made. The PMC
itself has only one active (code) contributer over the last
months.

The PMC is aware of the situation but at the moment the lack
of time and availability of persons make it very difficult
to change something fundamentally.

Subscribers on the dev list: 231

Last new committer was
  Cristian Petroaca on May 7th, 2015

Last new PMC member were
  Cristian Petroaca on July 28th, 2016
  Rafa Haro on July 28th, 2016

Last stack release was:
  Apache Stanbol 1.0.0 on Oct 23rd, 2016

Last component release was:
  Apache Stanbol Partial Security Release RC2 on June 5th, 2014
  org.apache.stanbol.commons.security.reactor-20140602

Re: [REPORT] Apache Stanbol - May 2017

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Fabian Christ <fc...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Stanbolers,
>
> I submitted the following report to the board:
>
> ------------
>
> Status report for the Apache Stanbol Project - May, 2017
>
> Apache Stanbol provides a set of reusable components for semantic content
> management.
>
> We started a discussion about who is using Stanbol and encouraged the
> people who actively use (and depend) on Stanbol to contribute and
> become part of the developer community.
>
> Unfortunately, the technological barrier is rather high and people
> are a little bit overwhelmed with the large code base and the
> number of OSGi bundles. So people need time to get familiar
> with that.
>
> This may be one reason why not much happened since then. No new
> contributions from people outside the PMC were made. The PMC
> itself has only one active (code) contributer over the last
> months.
>
> The PMC is aware of the situation but at the moment the lack
> of time and availability of persons make it very difficult
> to change something fundamentally.

Thx Fabian for writing this Report.

While I do not like to read this, it is a very good summary of the situation.

The reason I provided no input for this report was that I actually had
nothing to report. OK I am answering some questions and had also a
discussion with Rafa, but I their where no contributions to the code
base.

best
Rupert

Posted by David Riccitelli <da...@insideout.io>.
Hello!

Although I am not an active member, I have experience with (early) Stanbol
releases and I can always provide support if needed.

Best regards,

David

► HelixWare online video platform <http://bit.ly/e-helixcloud> ► WordLift
semantic web for WordPress <http://bit.ly/e-wordlift>
► RedLink - making sense of your data <http://bit.ly/e-redlink> ► US Export
compliance extension for WooCommerce <http://bit.ly/1864GLD>
══════════════════════════════════════════════
► Twitter: @ziodave
---
► InsideOut10 s.r.l. (IT-11381771002)
══════════════════════════════════════════════

Re: [REPORT] Apache Stanbol - May 2017

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

If their is a release or a critical Issue to resolve I am fully
available. We at Redlink are still using Stanbol in production
environments so most likely we will also be affected by such issues.

My concerns where more related with further development and new
features as (1) I have a lot of other assignments and (2) our common
development platform is Spring (Boot) and not OSGI.

best
Rupert

Posted by Alessandro Adamou <al...@studio.unibo.it>.
Hi - I think I can say for myself the same as Andreas did.

best

Alessandro

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <a....@ping.de>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.