Posted to user@struts.apache.org by MA...@de.ibm.com on 2001/06/11 15:04:09 UTC

Session handling with wml

I'm trying to get struts working with wml. Everything works fine beside the
fact, that struts always thinks it is able to place a cookie at the browser
(Nokia 6210). This seems not to be working, as nothing keeps stored in
session. I can't reproduce this error with the blueprint from Nokia
Toolkit, even if cookies are deactivated. Manual URL-encoding has no
effect, as the session-id is never added to url if a cookie was set...
Anybody solved similar problem?
Thanx,    Maik.

Re: Session handling with wml

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 MAVOSS@de.ibm.com wrote:

> I'm trying to get struts working with wml. Everything works fine beside the
> fact, that struts always thinks it is able to place a cookie at the browser
> (Nokia 6210). This seems not to be working, as nothing keeps stored in
> session. I can't reproduce this error with the blueprint from Nokia
> Toolkit, even if cookies are deactivated. Manual URL-encoding has no
> effect, as the session-id is never added to url if a cookie was set...
> Anybody solved similar problem?
> Thanx,    Maik.

In most servlet containers, you can turn off the use of cookies for
session maintenance -- check the docs for your container on how.

For URL rewriting to work, you need to remember the following:

* You must URL-rewrite (i.e. call response.encodeURL()) every single
  hyperlink in the application.  With Struts, the <html:form> and

* You must ensure that a session is created before the response is
  committed back to the client.  In general, that means be sure that
  you call request.getSession() -- or call a JSP page -- before the
  first buffer-full of output has been committed.

Craig