Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@peridale.co.uk> on 2016/01/15 16:10:57 UTC

Importing currency figures with currency indicator to Hive from CSV

Hi,

How to do convert a column stored as String in Hive into Decimal if possible.

The excel looks like this

Invoice Number

Payment date

Net

VAT

Total

360

10/02/2014

£10,000.00

£2000.00

£12,000.00

And the file (before bzip2) looks like this on imported directory in Linux

Invoice Number,Payment date,Net,VAT,Total

360,10/02/2014,"▒12,000.00",▒2000.00,"▒12,000.00"

Once the data inserted from the external table into Hive (as string), looks like below

+-------------------+-----------------+--------------+-------------+--------------+--+

| t2.invoicenumber  | t2.paymentdate  |    t2.net <http://t2.net>     |   t2.vat    |   t2.total   |

+-------------------+-----------------+--------------+-------------+--------------+--+

| 360               | 10/02/2014      | ?10,000.00   | ?2000.00    | ?12,000.00   |

Is there any way to resolve this column to decimal format?

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn   <https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw> https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=AAEAAAAWh2gBxianrbJd6zP6AcPCCdOABUrV8Pw

Sybase ASE 15 Gold Medal Award 2008

A Winning Strategy: Running the most Critical Financial Data on ASE 15

 <http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf> http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf

Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15", ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.

co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN 978-0-9759693-0-4

Publications due shortly:

Complex Event Processing in Heterogeneous Environments, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-3-8

Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one out shortly

 <http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/> http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this message shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Technology Ltd, its subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free, therefore neither Peridale Technology Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any responsibility.

RE: Importing currency figures with currency indicator to Hive from CSV

Posted by matshyeq <ma...@gmail.com>.
Try:
REGEXP_REPLACE(net,'[^\\d\\.]','');

Thank you,