Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Dan Cowell <da...@hotmail.com> on 2013/04/03 04:04:32 UTC

Open office issues.

Hi there, I’m not sure is I’m going about this the correct way but I have an issue with Open Office. I recently downloaded the program to my new dell tablet, which runs on windows 8 pro, but when I try open it I get a message that reads; This application cannot be started. [context=shared] caught unexpected exception!

Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

P.s It runs fine on my windows 7 laptop.

Sent from Windows Mail

RE: Open office issues.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Um, he says Dell and Windows 8 Pro.

I'll check it on my Windows 8 box.  I installed successfully once before.

Daniel: Does your Win8 Dell have any special virus protection or other software beyond what is built into Windows 8?

 - Dennis

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Dan Cowell
<da...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi there, I’m not sure is I’m going about this the correct way but I have
> an issue with Open Office. I recently downloaded the program to my new dell
> tablet, which runs on windows 8 pro, but when I try open it I get a message
> that reads; This application cannot be started. [context=shared] caught
> unexpected exception!

Microsoft lists AOO 3.4.1 on their Windows 8 compatible list.  I've used it
on Windows 8 without problems.

Is your tablet running Windows RT?  Microsoft made a special version of
Windows 8 for tablets, targeting ARM processors.  OpenOffice won't run
there.  We require x86 or x86-64 processors.

-Rob

RE: Open office issues.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
I just did a fresh download and install on Windows 8 Pro x64.  There were no problems, and AOO 3.4.1 did not create any sort of uncaught exception.  It starts just fine.

Questions for Daniel:

 1. Did you request download at http://openoffice.org ?  It is important that you obtain an authentic download from the primary download location.  (SourceForge will appear and initiate your download.)

 2. Did the download happen with your built-in Internet Explorer on the desktop?

 3. Are you using the standard en-US default?

 4. Did you do the "typical" or "custom" install?

 5. Do you know if Java is installed on your machine?  (My Windows 8 Pro was an update of Windows 7, yours is an OEM install of Windows 8 Pro - that might be a difference.)
  Find the Control Panel, go to Programs, and see if there is a Java button there.
  You can get to the control Panel from the Desktop by right-clicking the lower-left corner - it will be on the pop-up menu.

 - Dennis

Re: Open office issues.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Open office issues.

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 04/03/2013 03:51 AM, Maciej Jaros wrote:
> Dan Cowell (2013-04-03 04:04):
>> Hi there, I’m not sure is I’m going about this the correct way but I have an issue with Open Office. I recently downloaded the program to my new dell tablet, which runs on windows 8 pro, but when I try open it I get a message that reads; This application cannot be started. [context=shared] caught unexpected exception!
>>

>> Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.
>>

>> P.s It runs fine on my windows 7 laptop.
>
> There is a free downgrade option :-). You just need to borrow a
> Windows 7 CD/DVD from someone and after installation call Microsoft to
> register your copy.

I have installed OpenOffice on Windows8-Pro 32-bit without a problem.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.  A.M. Greeley

Re: Open office issues.

Posted by Maciej Jaros <ma...@mol.com.pl>.
Dan Cowell (2013-04-03 04:04):
> Hi there, I’m not sure is I’m going about this the correct way but I have an issue with Open Office. I recently downloaded the program to my new dell tablet, which runs on windows 8 pro, but when I try open it I get a message that reads; This application cannot be started. [context=shared] caught unexpected exception!
>

> Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.
>

> P.s It runs fine on my windows 7 laptop.

There is a free downgrade option :-). You just need to borrow a Windows
7 CD/DVD from someone and after installation call Microsoft to register
your copy.

--
MOL sp. z o.o. 	*Maciej Jaros*
e-mail: maciej@mol.com.pl <ma...@mol.com.pl>

Re: Open office issues.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 10:50:21 -0400
" Judith L. Bardach" <ju...@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I tried it on Windows 8 laptop, too, and couldn't open it, although I am
> using it on my XP desktop..  Does it not yet apply to Windows 8?

Many people are running OpenOffice quite successfully on Windows 8.  Do you get any error messages?

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Open office issues.

Posted by " Judith L. Bardach" <ju...@roadrunner.com>.