Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/11/27 16:36:42 UTC

new signature checking facility for releases in Apache mirror system

This is just FYI, no action needed :-)

When we commit to dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release these get copied to the
Apache mirror distribution system (including the base www.apache.org/dist/uima )

Henk Penning runs automatic checking software the insures things are properly
signed.

He's augmented this recently with more automatation, which, in turn depends on a
file to be kept in the directory www.apache.org/dist/uima/META - uima.html (
plus an ".asc" gpg signature).

Henk said in an email to me:

I wonder if I can ask you to do a little experiment ...

  -- install https://checker.apache.org/META/uima.html as dist/uima/META
  -- create dist/uima/META.asc with your key "cc762ffdcd04cfd6"

  It would enable checker.apache.org to show, for ever uima artifact,
  a proof that the artifact is authentic.

  See for example :

    https://checker.apache.org/sums/5d71c0133401aeb48b6e492c7650d3b3f57b18ee.html

  Hope to hear from you ; any feedback is appreciated.

  Thanks ; regards,

  Henk Penning

I have done this to aid in his "experiment".  The file uima.html and its .asc
are being kept in the uima-website project, in the directory META.  The
uima-website project HOWTO file is updated with a bit of info about this, as well.

-Marshall

Re: new signature checking facility for releases in Apache mirror system

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
This is now set up (took 2 tries).  Henk says:

Now, if some downloader retrieves (from a mirror) a file with

    SHA1 = eefbac103d3c6cee6c8b1148797663bbdfcc6c16

  then he/she can visit the checker :

    https://checker.apache.org/dist/verify.html

  ... paste in the checksum (eefbac103d3c6cee6c8b1148797663bbdfcc6c16)
  and click 'search'. The result-page shows that the download is
  an authentic ASF artifact, and the steps in the proof-chain.

Cheers. -Marshall