Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Oleg Konovalov <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/20 22:35:58 UTC

Using Cocoon without XSPs

Hi,

I am Cocoon newbie, trying to reverse-engineer
several Cocoon [2.0.4] apps written in 2002-2003
(original developers long gone, nobody around ever
worked with Cocoon). Deployed on JBoss 3.0.7.

Learning from "Cocoon Developer's Handbook" by Mocsar/Aston,
it looks like all Cocoon apps have to use XSP logicsheets.
However, there is absolutely no XSPs in these apps,
only Project.xmap, XSL, Java, XML, HTML, some SQL files.

Was XSP introduced in Cocoon 2?
How do you develop with Cocoon without XSPs ?

Judging by Java packages, it had Acting, Generation, Selection,
Tasks, Transformation, Data and Util.
And most SQL things are done in XSL/XML files.
There are tons on XSLs (under XSLT).
 Is that what was used before/instead of XSPs ?

Are there any resources describing Cocoon development
without XSPs ?

Thank you in advance,
Oleg.

Re: Using Cocoon without XSPs

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 20 janv. 05, à 22:35, Oleg Konovalov a écrit :

> ...Are there any resources describing Cocoon development
> without XSPs ?..

I'm going to throw my usual "have a look at the supersonic tour" line
here ;-)

To run it you need to install a recent version of Cocoon (which is
really easy, just follow INSTALL.TXT in the distribution), start it and
go to the "samples / blocks with samples" page.

The tour will give you a quick overview of how to use Cocoon today, it
should give you a good starting point, but your mileage may of course
vary depending on what your application does and how it's built.

HTH
-Bertrand

Re: Using Cocoon without XSPs

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Oleg Konovalov wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am Cocoon newbie, trying to reverse-engineer
>several Cocoon [2.0.4] apps written in 2002-2003
>(original developers long gone, nobody around ever
>worked with Cocoon). Deployed on JBoss 3.0.7.
>
>Learning from "Cocoon Developer's Handbook" by Mocsar/Aston,
>it looks like all Cocoon apps have to use XSP logicsheets.
>However, there is absolutely no XSPs in these apps,
>only Project.xmap, XSL, Java, XML, HTML, some SQL files.
>
>Was XSP introduced in Cocoon 2?
>How do you develop with Cocoon without XSPs ?
>
>Judging by Java packages, it had Acting, Generation, Selection,
>Tasks, Transformation, Data and Util.
>And most SQL things are done in XSL/XML files.
>There are tons on XSLs (under XSLT).
> Is that what was used before/instead of XSPs ?
>
>Are there any resources describing Cocoon development
>without XSPs ?
>

>Thank you in advance,
>Oleg.

The Cocoon developer's handbook is a good book but very out of date.
XSP's are similar to JSPs and have many of the same problems.  The use
of XSPs is not recommended in version 2.1 as their are better ways of
getting work done.  The recommended approach is to use business objects
in conjunction with flowscript of javaflow.  There is actually quite a
bit of information on this at the Cocoon web site, on the wiki and even
in a few published articles.

Having said all that, if you have an app developed in 2.0.4 it should be
converted to 2.1 fairly easily. The biggest change is that classes that
implement Composable must be converted to implement Serviceable instead.

HTH
Ralph

Re: Using Cocoon without XSPs

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Jue, 20 de Enero de 2005, 15:35, Oleg Konovalov dijo:
> Hi,
>
> I am Cocoon newbie, trying to reverse-engineer
> several Cocoon [2.0.4] apps written in 2002-2003
> (original developers long gone, nobody around ever
> worked with Cocoon). Deployed on JBoss 3.0.7.
>
> Learning from "Cocoon Developer's Handbook" by Mocsar/Aston,
> it looks like all Cocoon apps have to use XSP logicsheets.
> However, there is absolutely no XSPs in these apps,
> only Project.xmap, XSL, Java, XML, HTML, some SQL files.
>
> Was XSP introduced in Cocoon 2?
> How do you develop with Cocoon without XSPs ?
>
> Judging by Java packages, it had Acting, Generation, Selection,
> Tasks, Transformation, Data and Util.
> And most SQL things are done in XSL/XML files.
> There are tons on XSLs (under XSLT).
>  Is that what was used before/instead of XSPs ?
>
> Are there any resources describing Cocoon development
> without XSPs ?

Yep, there is:

from the "Masters": Carsten Ziegeler and Matthew Langham. ;-)

Really very good!

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Oleg Konovalov wrote:

> Are there any resources describing Cocoon development
> without XSPs ?

XSP and actions are not recommended for new development. study
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/index.html

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com