Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/09/02 16:05:29 UTC

RE: Release Manager for 4.2.0?

I don't have a good place to put this, and 4.2.0 may not be the way to consider it, if we are also counting on an early (this year) 4.2.0 to also provide important maintenance fixes and any security catch-ups too.

One major change that the TDF made to LibreOffice is very important.  Instead of producing complete binary sets (Windows x86, MacOSX, Linux32, and Linux64) for *each* localization, LibreOffice provides one complete set for *all* localizations.  The off-line Help is only in English, but localized off-line Helps can be obtained as small downloads.  The on-line helps reached by default are localized.

You can imagine how this simplifies deployment, including QA and binding votes.  They have also been using Windows .msi binaries, with Microsoft's signing method, for some time.

Somehow, it would be good to have a checklist of the kinds of things that we would like to try and confirm using rebuilds of a stable version, not just for emergency releases.  There are a number of deployment improvements that could be tested and QA'd that way without worrying about regressions inside of a feature release.

Just a thought.

 - Dennis