Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/07 21:30:15 UTC

Infoset / TCP transport

Guys

We should develop a compatible transport to this transport:
http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/10/soap-tcp-wcf

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Infoset / TCP transport

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
I'd also thought DIME was in Axis2, but didn't see it in the codebase.
The Axis2 TCP support is definitely not DIME-based - it just uses a
separate socket connection for each request.

  - Dennis

Re: Infoset / TCP transport

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
I like your approach. Too many "performance enhancing" projects founder on
not actually seeing what works and what doesn't.
For some reason I thought there was already work on DIME and TCP in Axis2.
But I've never actually looked at the code so I'm probably wrong.

Paul

On 10/8/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> Sure, I think that could be an excellent idea.
>
> On binary XML, the W3C EXI group (http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI/) is likely
> to be the long-term winner. Sun's "Fast Infoset" has never seemed all
> that fast in tests I've seen (including when used with Axis2), but if
> you're looking for a short-term solution my own XBIS
> (http://www.xbis.org) is a simpler alternative. When I added XBIS
> encoding to my old JibxSoap code I more than doubled performance. Right
> now I have it structured so JiBX can output directly to XBIS and read
> directly from XBIS; if I extend this to include a StAX wrapper it should
> be usable directly with Axis2. It'd be interesting to see how much
> benefit that provided, vs. "Fast Infoset".
>
> On the TCP model, I'm currently implementing a simple DIME-based
> approach for my own work. However, that does not allow for sharing the
> socket connection (something that both Sun's approach and the .Net 3.0
> net.tcp technique support). I'm going to try some tests to see how much
> benefit you actually get from sharing the socket connection. Offhand I'd
> think the gains would be pretty small, but if they're significant that's
> probably worth doing. DIME doesn't support that directly, but could
> easily be extended to do so.
>
>   - Dennis
>

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > I hate to suggest something new (NIH) but maybe we could start an open
> > discussion and forum on what would make a good BinaryXML/TCP model?
> > If we came up with something significantly better then it would be worth
> > doing.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > On 10/8/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> I think it's an interesting possibility. I've been trying to find out
> >> what .Net is currently using for their net.tcp transport, but that's
> >> proving difficult. The Sun proposal is at least well-defined.
> >>
> >> I wish they'd asked for comments and started a discussion rather than
> >> just making something up, though. Some parts seem lame, such as using
> >> nibble encoding, and requiring a response message for every request
> >> message (not necessarily appropriate with WS-Addressing involved). It's
> >> also a bit heavy-weight, with a SOAP service request to open a channel.
> >>
> >>   - Dennis
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dennis M. Sosnoski
> >> SOA and Web Services in Java
> >> Axis2 Training and Consulting
> >> http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> >> Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Infoset / TCP transport

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Re: Infoset / TCP transport

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
I hate to suggest something new (NIH) but maybe we could start an open
discussion and forum on what would make a good BinaryXML/TCP model?
If we came up with something significantly better then it would be worth
doing.

Paul

On 10/8/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I think it's an interesting possibility. I've been trying to find out
> what .Net is currently using for their net.tcp transport, but that's
> proving difficult. The Sun proposal is at least well-defined.
>
> I wish they'd asked for comments and started a discussion rather than
> just making something up, though. Some parts seem lame, such as using
> nibble encoding, and requiring a response message for every request
> message (not necessarily appropriate with WS-Addressing involved). It's
> also a bit heavy-weight, with a SOAP service request to open a channel.
>
>   - Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis M. Sosnoski
> SOA and Web Services in Java
> Axis2 Training and Consulting
> http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117
>

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
> > Guys
> >
> > We should develop a compatible transport to this transport:
> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/10/soap-tcp-wcf
> >
> > Paul

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: Infoset / TCP transport

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Paul,

Re: Infoset / TCP transport

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
> Guys
>
> We should develop a compatible transport to this transport:
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2007/10/soap-tcp-wcf
>
> Paul

+1 , the TCP transport we have at the moment is not that good and we can
not recommend that for enterprise level usage.

Thanks
Deepal