Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2011/04/08 08:02:31 UTC

To tag apr 1.4.3/-util 1.3.11?

Jeff, I've lost your thread, probably because it's half at httpd.

Just so you know, I did get to spend my hours yesterday and today on 2008R2
with Visual Studio 2010 - mostly on the tasks of rebuilding a VM to which
I had lost the admin password (damn 'password constraints').

I would like to spend some time tomorrow and Saturday morning wrapping up
all our work, I have Steve's work ready to commit and will at least ensure
Bert's suggestions are adopted, if not a wholesale fix to //unc/vol issues.

Guenter, you have also make a ton of adjustments - are your changes ready
to fly?

Re: To tag apr 1.4.3/-util 1.3.11?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:02 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Jeff, I've lost your thread, probably because it's half at httpd.
>
> Just so you know, I did get to spend my hours yesterday and today on 2008R2
> with Visual Studio 2010 - mostly on the tasks of rebuilding a VM to which
> I had lost the admin password (damn 'password constraints').
>
> I would like to spend some time tomorrow and Saturday morning wrapping up
> all our work, I have Steve's work ready to commit and will at least ensure
> Bert's suggestions are adopted, if not a wholesale fix to //unc/vol issues.

Sounds good...

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: signal.h on Windows

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 08.04.2011 17:29, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>> oh, and another bad thingy I found with APR on Windows is that ugly redefining of all the
>> SIG* defines in apr_private.h - it simply doesnt work as it should, that means it only
>> depends on the order of includes:
>> if signal.h is included before apr_private.h then the wanted redefine happens, the other
>> turn signal.h defines win which is not what is desgined as I guess; I found this with
>> OpenWatcom which does not allow redefining macros ... (at least not with different values)
>> any idea how to workaround this issue properly?
>> I think that the only clean way would be to define our own APR_SIG* macros and use these,
>> but that would then affect all platforms :-(
>
> Which could happen with 2.0 but not 1.x - anything more specific about how to avoid
> these collisions/load order issues for 1.x?
well, I could try to disable signal.h completely, and then see which
sources fail, and within these make sure that arch/private comes always
1st (but this would still not work with Watcom and other compilers which
dont allow redefines), or we could always 1st inlcude apr.h to get the
APR_HAVE_*, then in the middle the sytem headers, and finally
arch/private and undef 1st all macros which need redefines ...

or someone has a better idea??

Guen.

Re: To tag apr 1.4.3/-util 1.3.11?

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 4/8/2011 9:07 AM, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Am 08.04.2011 08:02, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>> Jeff, I've lost your thread, probably because it's half at httpd.
>>
>> Just so you know, I did get to spend my hours yesterday and today on 2008R2
>> with Visual Studio 2010 - mostly on the tasks of rebuilding a VM to which
>> I had lost the admin password (damn 'password constraints').
>>
>> I would like to spend some time tomorrow and Saturday morning wrapping up
>> all our work, I have Steve's work ready to commit and will at least ensure
>> Bert's suggestions are adopted, if not a wholesale fix to //unc/vol issues.
>>
>> Guenter, you have also make a ton of adjustments - are your changes ready
>> to fly?
> Regarding netware:
> yes sir - all builds nicely, and I can now compile NetWare targets on Linux for all
> APR/APU and httpd HEAD/2.2.x versions.
>
> Regarding windows:
> I would like to cleanup some stuff in apr:
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/diffs/apr_cleanup.diff
> it makes no sense to me that we duplicate HAVE_* in arch/apr_private.h for which we have
> already APR_HAVE_* in apr.h[w] ...

AIUI, Autoconf duplicates these, no?  If not, I generally agree, however
you didn't look sideways with this proposal, for example,
strings/apr_strings.c:#ifdef HAVE_STDLIB_H just to name one example.

And I also wouldn't agree with including process.h to every consumer of apr,
adding new system headers to apr.h needs strong justification.  Adding this
under the arch/private generic header would be fine, compilers are fast enough
these days that it shouldn't be a colossal hit on build time.

Re: To tag apr 1.4.3/-util 1.3.11?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> wrote:
> Am 08.04.2011 08:02, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>>
>> Jeff, I've lost your thread, probably because it's half at httpd.
>>
>> Just so you know, I did get to spend my hours yesterday and today on
>> 2008R2
>> with Visual Studio 2010 - mostly on the tasks of rebuilding a VM to which
>> I had lost the admin password (damn 'password constraints').
>>
>> I would like to spend some time tomorrow and Saturday morning wrapping up
>> all our work, I have Steve's work ready to commit and will at least ensure
>> Bert's suggestions are adopted, if not a wholesale fix to //unc/vol
>> issues.
>>
>> Guenter, you have also make a ton of adjustments - are your changes ready
>> to fly?
>
> Regarding netware:
> yes sir - all builds nicely, and I can now compile NetWare targets on Linux
> for all APR/APU and httpd HEAD/2.2.x versions.
>
> Regarding windows:
> I would like to cleanup some stuff in apr:
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/diffs/apr_cleanup.diff
> it makes no sense to me that we duplicate HAVE_* in arch/apr_private.h for
> which we have already APR_HAVE_* in apr.h[w] ...

trunk or 1.4.x?  (your patch looks like trunk)

as for 1.4.x:

APR_HAVE in apr.h* is an API; can't add new ones in 1.4.x series

(but if 1.4.x/include/apr.h.in is missing something for Windows that
has been in apr.hw, that's fair game since apr.h.in has never been
reasonably close to correct for Windows)

as for trunk:  start a new thread not related to getting 1.x releases
out the door ;)

> and comments on that?
>
> oh, and another bad thingy I found with APR on Windows is that ugly
> redefining of all the SIG* defines in apr_private.h - it simply doesnt work
> as it should, that means it only depends on the order of includes:
> if signal.h is included before apr_private.h then the wanted redefine
> happens, the other turn signal.h defines win which is not what is desgined
> as I guess; I found this with OpenWatcom which does not allow redefining
> macros ... (at least not with different values)
> any idea how to workaround this issue properly?
> I think that the only clean way would be to define our own APR_SIG* macros
> and use these, but that would then affect all platforms :-(

is this a 1.4.x discussion?

Re: To tag apr 1.4.3/-util 1.3.11?

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 08.04.2011 08:02, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> Jeff, I've lost your thread, probably because it's half at httpd.
>
> Just so you know, I did get to spend my hours yesterday and today on 2008R2
> with Visual Studio 2010 - mostly on the tasks of rebuilding a VM to which
> I had lost the admin password (damn 'password constraints').
>
> I would like to spend some time tomorrow and Saturday morning wrapping up
> all our work, I have Steve's work ready to commit and will at least ensure
> Bert's suggestions are adopted, if not a wholesale fix to //unc/vol issues.
>
> Guenter, you have also make a ton of adjustments - are your changes ready
> to fly?
Regarding netware:
yes sir - all builds nicely, and I can now compile NetWare targets on
Linux for all APR/APU and httpd HEAD/2.2.x versions.

Regarding windows:
I would like to cleanup some stuff in apr:
http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/diffs/apr_cleanup.diff
it makes no sense to me that we duplicate HAVE_* in arch/apr_private.h
for which we have already APR_HAVE_* in apr.h[w] ...

and comments on that?

oh, and another bad thingy I found with APR on Windows is that ugly
redefining of all the SIG* defines in apr_private.h - it simply doesnt
work as it should, that means it only depends on the order of includes:
if signal.h is included before apr_private.h then the wanted redefine
happens, the other turn signal.h defines win which is not what is
desgined as I guess; I found this with OpenWatcom which does not allow
redefining macros ... (at least not with different values)
any idea how to workaround this issue properly?
I think that the only clean way would be to define our own APR_SIG*
macros and use these, but that would then affect all platforms :-(

Gün.