Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com> on 2019/07/07 13:47:39 UTC

Request to test the new CI test environment / CI Docker Image

Hello everyone,

I think after the last round of reviews from Ash, I will be quite ready
this week to merge the final 3/3 step of the new CI Docker image.

Since it impacts integration-testing workflow of all Airflow developers, I
have a kind request to people who develop Airflow to test it before we
merge it to master.

The CI builds were extensively tested over the past few months so I am
quite confident it will be ok for Travis, but there are quite a few
improvements for local development.

Among others you will be able to:

   - Pull the CI images from DockerHub and build your local version that
   you will be use for testing via "local_ci_build.sh" (and force pull with
   another script)
   - Run "local_ci_run_airflow_testing.sh" <test_name> to run a test
   - Run "local_ci_enter_environment.sh" to enter the local IT environment
   being 1-1 to what you have in Travis CI and run tests more quickly (also
   with --skip-db-init flag for even faster runs)
   - Run static code analysis (mypy/pylint/flake8/doc build/licence check)
   in 1-1 the same way as you run them in Travis using "
   ci_pylint.sh/ci_mypy.sh ...."

I prepared the documentation update in CONTRIBUTING about "Integration test
development environment"
https://github.com/PolideaInternal/airflow/blob/ms-travis-ci-tests/CONTRIBUTING.md#integration-test-development-environment

You can check the branch out at
https://github.com/PolideaInternal/airflow/tree/ms-travis-ci-tests

There are more improvements to come/propose soon - pre-commits, possibly
full "simplified development environment" (which follows next as AIP-7),
production-optimised official Airflow image, but it is already quite a
change (improvement I believe) in the development workflow for Airflow.

I would love to hear if AIP-10 works as intended for you as well as for the
few people who used it/tested so far. Please let me know your
comments/questions - I am happy to answer them. Especially if you have
Linux desktop - I would love to get it tested.

If I have enough comments till Monday evening, I would love to merge it on
Tuesday.

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: Request to test the new CI test environment / CI Docker Image

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Hey Stefan (also anyone else who wants to make last quick check):

In the latest iteration I think I solved most Linux problems (and added a
few more things) - you can check it yourself:
https://github.com/PolideaInternal/airflow/tree/ms-travis-ci-tests

   - I got rid of .pyc files. The .pyc files and __pychache_ folders  will
   be deleted on entering the container and no new .pyc files will be created
   (negligible import time penalty, no impact on run performance)
   - Ownership of the files is fixed automatically in case we build
   documentation (scripts/ci/ci_docs.sh)
   - You can also fix ownership for any files manually by
   (scripts/ci/local_ci_fix_ownership.sh)
   - You can run all static checks from within the container not only from
   the host script
   - You can run all static checks selectively - for the whole package or
   single python file.
   - The last static check - check_licence is also dockerised now - no more
   java/downloaded rat.jar needed locally to run licence check

All docs are cleaned up and updated in
https://github.com/PolideaInternal/airflow/blob/ms-travis-ci-tests/CONTRIBUTING.md#integration-test-development-environment

J.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Hey Stefan,

All the important problems should be fixed now! You can pull the latest
changes from my branch and retry:

   - The warning with /root/.docker/config.json is nothing to worry about
   (it tries to access your host configuration for credentials - but we do not
   need any credentials for the environment).
   - The CLEAN_FILES unbound variable was an interesting one - not sure why
   it was not set at the first run and set it on the other (likely because
   CLEAN_FILES is propagated through docker-compose settings and set to empty
   after initialisation) but I protected against such case now
   - Running flake/pylint is not supposed to be run from the container but
   from the host. I looked at the docs and realised it was not at all clear
   :). It was obvious for me but not for someone new :). That's big value of
   such tests. I updated CONTRIBUTING.md with a note and also added extra
   protection. When you try those scripts from container you will get the
   following error now:

*You are inside the Airflow docker container!You should only run this
script from the host.Learn more about how we develop and test airflow in:*
*https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
<https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md> *

Please try to run them from the host (and after pull you can try from the
container and you will see the error). It will run a bit slower now because
it checks whether docker should be rebuilt but soon I will optimise it away
with pre-commit hooks (I already have a POC working).

Anyone else wants to try - feel free and let me know!
J.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
After testing with Daniell I added fixes for a few "teething" problems. I
think the version we have now is pretty solid. If there is anyone willing
to test it still (ideally on Linux), that would be great.

Docs are here:
https://github.com/PolideaInternal/airflow/blob/ms-travis-ci-tests/CONTRIBUTING.md#integration-test-development-environment
You can check-out the branch at:
https://github.com/PolideaInternal/airflow/tree/ms-travis-ci-tests

Thanks Daniel again for your help! I hope we can get it merged really soon.

J.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Daniel Imberman <da...@gmail.com>.