Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Manisha Sathe <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2005/10/09 16:53:11 UTC

basic velocity property file question

I am new to velocity. I know that i can make use of my
own  velocity.property file where i can change the log
file directory/name and can make use of log4j. Also
can specify the default vm path.

I am on Tomcat, I want to put it under /WEB-INF.
Currently using like below inside my code:

Velocity.setProperty(
RuntimeConstants.RUNTIME_LOG_LOGSYSTEM_CLASS,

"org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.SimpleLog4JLogSystem"
);
Velocity.setProperty("file.resource.loader.path",vmpath);
//vmpath - my default path

I want to define all this inside property file and use
that, but exactly how ? i am bit confused.

Thanks in advance,

Manisha

Re: basic velocity property file question

Posted by Manisha Sathe <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Jason, will try it out that,

regards
Manisha

--- Jason Pettiss <ja...@TheCatalis.com>
wrote:

> If you're doing it all by yourself:
>
> Velocity.init("your_velocity.properties")
>
> And then in your_velocity.properties put something
> like:

runtime.log.logsystem.class=org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.SimpleLog4JLogSystem
> file.resource.loader.path=.
>
> And then tweak everything so the paths are right for
> how you're starting
> Tomcat.  But if you're using it to serve content--
> go get the
> VelocityViewServlet and then as an init param in
> your web.xml you can
> specify the location of velocity.properties, and
> then I think you can
> leave off the resource loader path because it'll
> configure it to the
> right place automatically.
>
>     <init-param>

<param-name>org.apache.velocity.properties</param-name>

<param-value>/WEB-INF/velocity.properties</param-value>

Posted by Jason Pettiss <ja...@TheCatalis.com>.