Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by B T <bt...@live.com> on 2013/05/24 17:09:59 UTC

6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight in different behaviors between 6.0.16 and 6.0.37.

I've been using version 6.0.16 (With CentOS 5) for quite some time - and it has worked very well. I was in the process of testing a new configuration and was exploring the possibility of upgrading to the latest 6.0.37 on CentOS 6.3.

After installing 6.0.37 (on CentOS 6.3), all of my .jsp pages now render as blank (.html still get served correctly). I then removed 6.0.37 and installed the old 6.0.16 (on the same CentOS 6.3 box) and things work well.

To explain the "blank" comment further, I open a browser, and I can pull up a simple .html page just fine. Once I go to a simple .jsp page, the entire browser screen is blank. The .java and the .class do get generated correctly in the working directory.

Also, to complicate things even further, 6.0.37 *works* with my codebase on my Windows 7 PC.

Does anyone have any insight into what could be so different between the Linux 6.0.16 Tomcat release and its 6.0.37 couterparts ?

Thanks -
BT

Re: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle

Posted by B T <bt...@live.com>.

> Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 09:32:46 -0700
> From: its_toasted@yahoo.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle
>
> On 5/24/2013 9:04 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> >
> > BT,
> >
> > On 5/24/13 11:09 AM, B T wrote:
> >> I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight in
> >> different behaviors between 6.0.16 and 6.0.37.
> >>
> >> I've been using version 6.0.16 (With CentOS 5) for quite some time
> >> - and it has worked very well. I was in the process of testing a
> >> new configuration and was exploring the possibility of upgrading to
> >> the latest 6.0.37 on CentOS 6.3.
> >>
> >> After installing 6.0.37 (on CentOS 6.3), all of my .jsp pages now
> >> render as blank (.html still get served correctly). I then removed
> >> 6.0.37 and installed the old 6.0.16 (on the same CentOS 6.3 box)
> >> and things work well.
> >>
> >> To explain the "blank" comment further, I open a browser, and I
> >> can pull up a simple .html page just fine. Once I go to a simple
> >> .jsp page, the entire browser screen is blank. The .java and the
> >> .class do get generated correctly in the working directory.
> >>
> >> Also, to complicate things even further, 6.0.37 *works* with my
> >> codebase on my Windows 7 PC.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any insight into what could be so different
> >> between the Linux 6.0.16 Tomcat release and its 6.0.37 couterparts
> >> ?
> >
> > So:
> > 1. Tomcat 6.0.37 + Linux = JSPs produce no output
> > 2. Tomcat 6.0.37 + Windows = works just fine
> > ?
> >
> > That's odd. I have 6.0.36 running in production with no issues;
> > haven't moved-up to 6.0.37 just yet.
> >
> > Can you strip-away as much as possible from your project while still
> > getting it to behave in this weird way, then post some code -- or
> > better yet -- a WAR file with source?
> >
> > - -chris
>
> Yep, I'm running 6.0.37 on all production boxes (CentOS 5.9 and CentOS
> 6.4) and the latest JRE 6 with no issues.
>
> . . . . just my two cents
> /mde/

Thanks for your guys' feedback ... I had removed 6.0.37 and installed 6.0.16. I then put back 6.0.37 (in a different directory) and tried it again and it somehow magically worked with 6.0.37 (after it had already worked on 6.0.16). So now it works on both.  I'm not really sure what it was, and even though it works now, I still do not have a warm feeling about this. I think I may just revert to 6.0.16 and continue to use that. Perhaps when I get more time, I can pick the code apart to figure out exactly what was not working right. I was hoping to do that when considering a migration to Tomcat 7 though, not for a minor version change like this. I use lots of JSTL (WEB-INF\lib\jstl.jar and standard.jar) and postgresql (\lib\postgresql.jar) for the db - perhaps 6.0.37 did not like something there. btw: Mark, the View Source showed 8 blank lines when it didn't work - and that's it - no other errors in any of the logs either. Nothing in the Browser error console. Thanks again -BT

Re: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.

Re: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

BT,

Re: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/5/24 B T <bt...@live.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone here might have some insight in different behaviors between 6.0.16 and 6.0.37.
>
> I've been using version 6.0.16 (With CentOS 5) for quite some time - and it has worked very well. I was in the process of testing a new configuration and was exploring the possibility of upgrading to the latest 6.0.37 on CentOS 6.3.
>
> After installing 6.0.37 (on CentOS 6.3), all of my .jsp pages now render as blank (.html still get served correctly). I then removed 6.0.37 and installed the old 6.0.16 (on the same CentOS 6.3 box) and things work well.
>
> To explain the "blank" comment further, I open a browser, and I can pull up a simple .html page just fine. Once I go to a simple .jsp page, the entire browser screen is blank. The .java and the .class do get generated correctly in the working directory.
>
> Also, to complicate things even further, 6.0.37 *works* with my codebase on my Windows 7 PC.
>
> Does anyone have any insight into what could be so different between the Linux 6.0.16 Tomcat release and its 6.0.37 couterparts ?

1. Do you have default web application (aka ROOT)?

(Error pages will not be able to render themselves if the request
cannot be mapped to a web application. You will see it as a blank
page, though with correct HTTP response code).

2. Configure an access log, if you do not have one. (E.g. uncomment it
in server.xml).

What HTTP response status is recorded in the log? 200? 400? 500?

If a request is incorrect it may result in a blank page (as processing
is stopped early as "error 400, incorrect request").

3. Anything in other logs?

4. How did you install 6.0.37?

Did you run it with correct permissions? (E.g. if one starts Tomcat as
root, shuts it down, and then tries to start it again as a non-root
user,  permissions on directories created during the first run will
prevent it from functioning correctly).

5. Do you run with SecurityManager being enabled?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: 6.0.16 vs 6.0.37 puzzle

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
I would first look in the Tomcat log files to see if anything useful
is recorded at the time of the blank response.  I'd also ask the
browser to display the page source to see if it's actually empty or
contains something (perhaps quite a lot of something) that renders as
an empty page.  It might be instructive to look at the browser's error
console too.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.