Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/20 19:23:59 UTC

Filing JIRAs

Big features don't come in one commit.  That's the thing to remember.  I'll come back to that thought shortly....

Here are some stats from beta-1 to beta-2:

  - There were 436 commits total. (whoo hoo!!)
  - Only 69 of those commits had JIRAs  (eek!)

So first, totally awesome to see all the activity.  Second, lets find some way to improve our JIRA usage.

Back to the original thought; big features don't come in one commit.

Over the course of years I've noticed that most the new feature JIRAs are filed at the end of the release.  I've also noticed that most of the changes without JIRA numbers go to these new features or enhancements.

That makes sense as big changes don't come in one commit.  But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a JIRA issue.  We could file a JIRA for the overall change and just keep reusing it on each of the many tiny commits that relate.

Seems like a good middle ground.  Having to create a new JIRA for every commit is annoying and noisy, having no JIRAs makes for some empty release notes (or an incredible amount of time spent picking through commits looking for potential JIRAs).

Thoughts?

-David

Re: Filing JIRAs

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
I think one is a bottom-up way of doing things the other is top-down,
where top down is do your design mocking first in a design JIRA and
the actual coding second and use that JIRA during commits.

In my experience what I called bottom-up sometimes has the danger that
peeps code without version control until they gold plated their
feature. That means until gold plating it's impossible to do
integration testing and once gold plating has finished a large junk of
code needs to be integration tested.

Cheers
Daniel

Re: Filing JIRAs

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
Some SCMs can be configured to only allow commits using an assiciated
ticket... e.g. there are commit hocks which would check for ticket
existence... maybe there exists a pre commit hock for SVN that would
parse the commit comment for the availability of a JIRA ID...

Cheers
Daniel

Re: Filing JIRAs

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.