Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@bevocal.com> on 2001/05/02 22:56:14 UTC

Contributing code?

I would also like to contribute some code changes.  I have been using the
TcpTunnelGui class in development, and I have made some small improvements:

- synchronized output to the response text area so that only one response
can write output to the text area at a time.
- "filtering" of the response output to the response text area.  Instead of
writing the entire response to the text area, if it matches against a http
header field (like Content-Type), it just outputs the response header and a
message "contents filtered by tunnel".  Of course, the full response
contents are sent back to the requestor.
- using a property file for arguments instead of all on the command line.

I have been using my updated version of TcpTunnelGui with non-SOAP
development projects, and it has been an invaluable tool.  I would like to
give my changes back to the group, or maybe a version of TcPTunnelGui could
become it's own small Apache project?

Could someone please guide me in how to do this?

Thanks,
-Mark

Supercharge your telephone! -- write your VoiceXML Application for free at
http://cafe.bevocal.com
BeVocal Cafe - Rated #1 VoiceXML development environment and voice hosting
service by CT Labs!

Re: Contributing code?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <mo...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

There is new project called the Commons
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/) that is designed to host small
projects.  If you are serious about spinning the TcpTunnelGui into its own
project (which sounds like a good idea, it's a cool little
applet), then that's probably the place to go.  However, Commons does have
some guidelines in terms of portability and a minimal dependence on other
libraries.  If you did spin it off, it should not be reliant on soap.jar
or other unrelated libraries.

- Morgan