Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Paul Piper <pp...@ilscipio.com> on 2014/11/18 16:36:59 UTC

Re: Urgent:Create or use current ecommerce ?

Hi,

it really depends on what you want to do. If you are setout to create an
eCommerce store, than I would propose to use the ecommerce app as a
foundation and customize it... ... ... ... alot.

That's at least the standard approach for most of the devs around here.
There are also multiple commercial versions available which already come
with a slicker html foundation. If you are interested, contact me via email
and I will show you the store.

Regards,
Paul

RE: Urgent:Create or use current ecommerce ?

Posted by Ejaz Ahmed <ee...@live.com>.
I think this happens when someone sends email thru nabble and his email address is not in the subscriber list.

Regards:

Ejaz Ahmed

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hoboy,

Like James I suggest you subscribe to the user mailing list of OFBiz by
sending an email to user-subscribe@ofbiz.apache.org .

This will ensure that your posting will reach the OFBiz community and you
might get a better response from me (as I don't check other, derivative
means for postings) or any other contributor.

You were in luck because Paul replied to your posting and I happen to see
that in the mailing list (nabble is not the mailing list).

Now, as James has replied to you and incorporated your questions in his
reply, I and others see those questions.

Let me give you my answer/viewpoint. Other might chime in and/or provide
their viewpoint and insights.

It is great that you are willing to put in the extra effort, as you will
need it. OFBiz is a feature rich solution set, that will cater to the
typical set of requirements. But having said that, what I (we) perceive as
feature rich, you - or your customer(s) might regard as overwhelming or
worse.

I cannot point you towards what other contributors have in their services
and solutions portfolio as I do not know in detail what the others might
have today in their portfolio. We, the OFBiz community maintain a list of
OFBiz Service Providers
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+Service+Providers
where you can search for the right one. But it might prove that you have to
contact a few directly based on your own preferences like language,
location, etc.

As to you question regarding whether you can make the OFBiz ecommerce
component do something else than ecommerce, the answer is 'Yes' for sure.
And for the when I suggest you start soonest. But I may not understand your
question completely.

As the 'where can I change what in the ecommerce component' I suggest that
you get acquainted with the specific structure of the component (as it
extends heavily a 'common' structure) and work from there. There are some
books listed here: https://ofbiz.apache.org/mailing-lists.html that might
help you kickstart your modifications. If, however, in doing so you feel
that you are losing precious time (the learning curve requires some time)
that you don't have - as you said you need something fast - I suggest that
you follow up on Paul's and my previous advice and get some third-party
help.

Best regards.

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi hoboy,

Posted by Len Shein <ls...@solveda.com>.
We've developed an eCommerce solution called BigFish that extends Ofbiz.
Check out bigfish.solveda.com.  Happy to help you get started if you think
BigFish would be suitable for your needs.

Regards

Len Shein

Solveda LLC

www.solveda.com <http://www.solveda.com/>

lshein@solveda.com

Re: Urgent:Create or use current ecommerce ?

Wed, 19 Nov 2014 00:14:45 +0100

Pierre Smits  <ma...@gmail.com> <pi...@gmail.com>

user@ofbiz.apache.org

Hi Hoboy,

Thanks for sharing your situation and questions.

I agree with Paul that it all depends on what you need and want to achieve
and what you want to do for that. If you say that you need to have a
standard ecommerce site fast (for demo purposes, without being considered
about the look and feel of it), just take what OFBiz delivers to you with
the latest release available.

But if that is not enough in the respect to what you want to deliver to
your target audience, then you have to put in the extra mile (the extra
effort). And now you have the two options available to you:

   - put in extra man hours to change the existing component so that it
   provides what you need, or
   - take some of the extensions that some of our community members have in
   their solutions and services portfolio.

You said in your posting that you are new to the OFBiz software and you
need to put an e-commerce site together fast..... That sounds like you like
to see miracles happen.

What is the timeframe that puts the pressure on you?

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM  <http://www.orrtiz.com> <http://www.orrtiz.com>*

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.