Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> on 2012/10/12 15:16:32 UTC

Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector

Hi Roberto,

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52:03PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> Hi Ariel, would you be interested in managing the AOO Extension page
> dedicated to the MySQL connector? At the present stage is unmaintained, I
> believe you'd be the 'natural' candidate for that.

I finally ended up setting a new project page:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql-driver
It wouldn't be fair to take the current page that has these downloads numbers:

Week: 795 | Month: 3,850 | Year: 45,050

because, wearing my AOO-committer hat, the project
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/aoo-my-sdbc/ is not
affiliated with, or endorsed by, the ASF or this project in any way: any
one is free to take the sources from AOO repository, or even the one
with the fixes I've made (as I'm releasing them under the ALv2.0) and
seet up his/her own fork.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/15/2012 09:13 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 12/10/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52:03PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>>> Hi Ariel, would you be interested in managing the AOO Extension page
>>> dedicated to the MySQL connector? At the present stage is
>>> unmaintained, I
>>> believe you'd be the 'natural' candidate for that.
>>
>> I finally ended up setting a new project page:
>> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql-driver
>> It wouldn't be fair to take the current page
>
> Actually, I feel it would be fair to take it! If the extension is
> unmaintained (meaning that the user who was maintaining it does no
> longer have an account on the Extensions site) then it is confusing to
> users to have the unmaintained version and your patched one available.

Sorry that I haven't reported this earlier.

I remember that I've maintained this webpage. Of course not as the
developer but as (kind of) liaison officer between OOo community and
Sun/Oracle. And yes, I don't have access to it anymore, so I cannot
change it myself.

I agree with Andrea that it's better to continue the already (and wrt
the stats very popular!) webpage than to have two with the same purpose.

> It occurred already a couple times that I had to explicitly point users
> to your patched version and that they solved their problems with it. So
> it surely deserves better exposure.
>
>> Week: 795 | Month: 3,850 | Year: 45,050
>
> If you don't host your version on extensions.openoffice.org, it will
> always be shadowed by this (buggy) one, because downloads won't be tracked.
>
> So, seeing this as a user, the best solutions I can imagine are:
>
> 1) Take over http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector
> ; old releases are archived, available and credited appropriately;
> nothing new will happen there since no users can update the page.

+1

> 2) Keep both projects, but state clearly on the older one that it is
> abandoned and that bugfixes and 3.4.x compatibility can be obtained in
> your version, and link to it. In this case, it would help if you hosted
> the packages on extensions.openoffice.org so that it can be shown in the
> "most popular" listing and gradually shadow the old one.
>
> But at the very least we should agree on a replacement text for the 3.4
> compatibility notice at
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector and get it
> replaced.

Marcus

Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 12/10/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52:03PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>> Hi Ariel, would you be interested in managing the AOO Extension page
>> dedicated to the MySQL connector? At the present stage is unmaintained, I
>> believe you'd be the 'natural' candidate for that.
>
> I finally ended up setting a new project page:
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql-driver
> It wouldn't be fair to take the current page

Actually, I feel it would be fair to take it! If the extension is
unmaintained (meaning that the user who was maintaining it does no
longer have an account on the Extensions site) then it is confusing to
users to have the unmaintained version and your patched one available.

It occurred already a couple times that I had to explicitly point users
to your patched version and that they solved their problems with it. So
it surely deserves better exposure.

> Week: 795 | Month: 3,850 | Year: 45,050

If you don't host your version on extensions.openoffice.org, it will
always be shadowed by this (buggy) one, because downloads won't be tracked.

So, seeing this as a user, the best solutions I can imagine are:

1) Take over http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector
; old releases are archived, available and credited appropriately;
nothing new will happen there since no users can update the page.

2) Keep both projects, but state clearly on the older one that it is
abandoned and that bugfixes and 3.4.x compatibility can be obtained in
your version, and link to it. In this case, it would help if you hosted
the packages on extensions.openoffice.org so that it can be shown in the
"most popular" listing and gradually shadow the old one.

But at the very least we should agree on a replacement text for the 3.4
compatibility notice at
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql_connector and get it
replaced.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 03:31:44PM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 10/12/12 3:16 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> > Hi Roberto,
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52:03PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> >> Hi Ariel, would you be interested in managing the AOO Extension page
> >> dedicated to the MySQL connector? At the present stage is unmaintained, I
> >> believe you'd be the 'natural' candidate for that.
> >
> > I finally ended up setting a new project page:
> > http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql-driver
> > It wouldn't be fair to take the current page that has these downloads numbers:
> >
> > Week: 795 | Month: 3,850 | Year: 45,050
> >
> > because, wearing my AOO-committer hat, the project
> > http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/aoo-my-sdbc/ is not
> > affiliated with, or endorsed by, the ASF or this project in any way: any
> > one is free to take the sources from AOO repository, or even the one
> > with the fixes I've made (as I'm releasing them under the ALv2.0) and
> > seet up his/her own fork.
> >

> do you plan to upload your builds in the repo under a new page?

No, I'll keep everything (source, binaries, wiki, issues) under Google
Code, it has integration with Google Analytics, which is really nice.

> I think that would be ok and we can remove the old page and can start
> from scratch.
>
> On the new page you could make clear that it is a separate project not
> related directly to the Apache project.

It already says:

Disclaimers: Apache, Apache OpenOffice and OpenOffice.org are trademarks
of The Apache Software Foundation. MySQL is trademark of Oracle
Corporation. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

but I will add some of the lines I wrote above. And now I notice I used
MySQL in the page URL, I changed it to
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/aoo-my-sdbc

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 03:31:44PM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On the new page you could make clear that it is a separate project not
> related directly to the Apache project.

One this that should be also updated/removed is the WikiPublisher:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/wikipublisher
It even has Sun's name, and Date: 2009-Jun-09

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [EXT] MySQL SDBC Connector

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
> Hi Roberto,
>
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 07:52:03PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>> Hi Ariel, would you be interested in managing the AOO Extension page
>> dedicated to the MySQL connector? At the present stage is unmaintained, I
>> believe you'd be the 'natural' candidate for that.
>
> I finally ended up setting a new project page:
> http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mysql-driver
> It wouldn't be fair to take the current page that has these downloads numbers:
>
> Week: 795 | Month: 3,850 | Year: 45,050
>
> because, wearing my AOO-committer hat, the project
> http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/aoo-my-sdbc/ is not
> affiliated with, or endorsed by, the ASF or this project in any way: any
> one is free to take the sources from AOO repository, or even the one
> with the fixes I've made (as I'm releasing them under the ALv2.0) and
> seet up his/her own fork.

do you plan to upload your builds in the repo under a new page? I think
that would be ok and we can remove the old page and can start from scratch.

On the new page you could make clear that it is a separate project not
related directly to the Apache project.

Juergen