Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/05 18:17:21 UTC

Automated test runs of the trunk using JaCoCo?

I've made significant use of the automated Emma test runs at:
http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/coverage/index.html
and I'm grateful to the community members who provide this resource.

I wonder; given that the Emma tool appears to have fallen into
disrepair, whether the automated tool could be switched to use
the JaCoCo tool instead?

Based on Kristian's notes in DERBY-5817
I created a simple wiki page with some notes on running tests
using JaCoCo:
https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/CodeCoverageWithJaCoCo

It would be nice to have regular results that we could link
to and periodically examine, using a testing tool which was
more reliable and up-to-date than the Emma tool.

Is there somebody in the community who could pursue this?

thanks,

bryan

Re: Automated test runs of the trunk using JaCoCo?

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.
Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> writes:

>> I'm looking into setting up automatic runs with JaCoCo and have a
>> partially working setup. The EMMA runs use multiple JVMs to cover all
>> JDBC drivers and optional modules, but I've only set up JaCoCo with Java
>> 7 for now. I think the results are useful nevertheless, so I'll see if I
>> can get them published to some public server in their current shape, and
>> hopefully I can improve them by adding more JVMs later.
>
> Wonderful! Thanks very much. I agree that a base run with JDK 7
> is quite helpful, and can provide a lot of value.

I've set up a Jenkins job on builds.apache.org. It currently runs
derbyall and suites.All with Java 7 on Ubuntu. The latest coverage
report can be found on this URL:

https://builds.apache.org/job/Derby-JaCoCo/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/coverage-report/index.html

It polls the svn repository three times a week (Monday, Wednesday,
Friday) and produces a new coverage report if there are changes.

--
Knut Anders

Re: Automated test runs of the trunk using JaCoCo?

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <kn...@oracle.com>.
Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've made significant use of the automated Emma test runs at:
> http://dbtg.foundry.sun.com/derby/test/coverage/index.html
> and I'm grateful to the community members who provide this resource.
>
> I wonder; given that the Emma tool appears to have fallen into
> disrepair, whether the automated tool could be switched to use
> the JaCoCo tool instead?

Hi Bryan,

--
Knut Anders