Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Hugues Narjoux <hu...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/18 14:00:53 UTC

[T5.0.18] Class re-loading and eclipse debugger

Hi,
I am using Tapestry 5.0.18 and I read a lot about tapestry being able to
reload classes without a restart. See:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/guide/reload.html

But when I run my webapp in eclipse with WTP tools, and whenever I make a
change to one of my page class, eclipse is always complaining that he didn't
succedd in reloading the class and the modification is not taken into
account.

Am I doing something wrong ? Is this an eclipse problem ?

Thanks,
Hugues

Re: [T5.0.18] Class re-loading and eclipse debugger

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Hugues Narjoux
<hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> WTP was great here because it
> would let you configure a deployment descriptor and automaticaly deploy and
> re-assemble your webapp.

I guess the problem is exactly the reassemble process. Many times,
when using WTP in a Struts (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!) project, it
wouldn't update the application correctly when I changed one class.
Then I gave up. I never really deploy an application in development,
just when really deploying to the production server, not wasting a lot
of time with it.

--
Thiago

Re: [T5.0.18] Class re-loading and eclipse debugger

Posted by Hugues Narjoux <hu...@gmail.com>.
I just ran a test:  when a java file is modified, WTP recompiles, publishes
it to the server location automatically (so the .class file is updated) but
tapestry won't see the change ... This is odd ...
You're right, jetty or tomcat launchers are much easier to use. But I have
an overly complex project structure where resources are scattered all over
the place and arn't in a single directory. WTP was great here because it
would let you configure a deployment descriptor and automaticaly deploy and
re-assemble your webapp. I could not find the equivalent in jetty plugins or
tomcats ...

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hugues Narjoux <hu...@gmail.com>.
Wow ! Thanks for the quick reply !
However even if i ignore the message, the modification won't appear ...

How does  this class relaoding thing works ? Is tapestry detecting a change
in the .class file ? Or a change in the class loader ?

Thanks
Hugues

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.