Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dan <a...@patnode.net> on 2007/02/13 19:57:44 UTC

MTA Search: Non contiguous ranges?

Hello,

I would like a Mail Transfer Agent recommendation.  What's the best
MTA, running on any platform, that will accept two or more thresholds
(non-contiguous weight values) for treating messages as spam?
Something like:

	0-1 is ham

	2-9 is spam

	10 is ham

	11-99 is spam

Where 4 paths are possible, instead of the normal 2 (below 10 allow,
above 10 tag) such that the treat-as-ham values are literally in
between the spam values.  This can be native or via a plugin.

In order of priority, I'm looking for:

	1) Compatibility with SpamAssassin

	2) Non contiguous score acceptance

	3) Compatibility with multiple AV scanners

	4) Ease of use

	5) Good logging system

Thanks,
Dan

Re: MTA Search: Non contiguous ranges?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:57:44AM -0800, Dan wrote:
> I would like a Mail Transfer Agent recommendation.  What's the best
> MTA, running on any platform, that will accept two or more thresholds
> (non-contiguous weight values) for treating messages as spam?

MTAs don't care about ham or spam, they just deliver messages.  I think
you're looking for a milter/third-party MTA integration.  Just fyi.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Bingo, gas station, hamburger with a side order of airplane noise,

Re: MTA Search: Non contiguous ranges?

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Dan wrote:
> I would like a Mail Transfer Agent recommendation.  What's the best MTA,
> running on any platform, that will accept two or more thresholds
> (non-contiguous weight values) for treating messages as spam?  Something
> like:
> Where 4 paths are possible, instead of the normal 2 (below 10 allow,
> above 10 tag) such that the treat-as-ham values are literally in between
> the spam values.  This can be native or via a plugin.

Sendmail with MIMEDefang <www.mimedefang.org> can do that.  MIMEDefang
can talk to SpamAssassin and several virus scanners, and you can control
its behavior using Perl.  This means you can set up any behavior you want.

As an example, we currently have a three-tiered setup where mail below
the SpamAssassin threshold is allowed through, mail above a higher
threshold is rejected, and mail in the middle is let through but flagged
as spam.  It would have no problem defining behavior for additional
score ranges.

MIMEDefang is free and open-source (GPL).  The authors also have a
commercial product, Can-It, with additional capabilities and simpler
administration: <www.roaringpenguin.com>

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: MTA Search: Non contiguous ranges?

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
Dan wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2007, at 13:41, Magnus Holmgren wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 19:57, Dan wrote:
>>> I would like a Mail Transfer Agent recommendation.  What's the best
>>> MTA, running on any platform, that will accept two or more thresholds
>>> (non-contiguous weight values) for treating messages as spam?
>>> Something like:
>>>
>>>     0-1 is ham
>>>
>>>     2-9 is spam
>>>
>>>     10 is ham
>>>
>>>     11-99 is spam
>>
>> Now I'm curious. How does that work?
>

> Please see my Feb 11th post - Find the Ham: A Prototype Config:
>
>     http://www.nabble.com/Find-the-Ham:-A-Prototype-Config-t3210639.html

Are there any MTA's that actually make this decision?

It seems to me that what you're really looking for is something like
procmail or a milter which is flexible enough to do what you want.  It
might be a little tricky to do in procmail, but I know that you could
easily do something like that in MimeDefang (you'd just be writing perl
code to analyze the score and/or rule profiles).

Re: MTA Search: Non contiguous ranges?

Posted by Dan <a...@patnode.net>.

Posted by Magnus Holmgren <ho...@lysator.liu.se>.
On Tuesday 13 February 2007 19:57, Dan wrote:
> I would like a Mail Transfer Agent recommendation.  What's the best
> MTA, running on any platform, that will accept two or more thresholds
> (non-contiguous weight values) for treating messages as spam?
> Something like:
>
> 	0-1 is ham
>
> 	2-9 is spam
>
> 	10 is ham
>
> 	11-99 is spam

Now I'm curious. How does that work?

> Where 4 paths are possible, instead of the normal 2 (below 10 allow,
> above 10 tag) such that the treat-as-ham values are literally in
> between the spam values.  This can be native or via a plugin.

Exim can do that without any plugin.

> In order of priority, I'm looking for:
>
> 	1) Compatibility with SpamAssassin
Check!

> 	2) Non contiguous score acceptance
Exim can do almost anything you want.

> 	3) Compatibility with multiple AV scanners
Check!

> 	4) Ease of use
That's what Exim is best at.

> 	5) Good logging system
I think so, but I can't guarantee that there is no MTA with better logging
facilities.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)