Posted to dev@community.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/04/20 18:43:19 UTC

Presentation selections for ACEU 2015 Budapest.

Hi.

Rereading today's threads about ACEU 2015, made me realize that I have been
unclear.

For ACEU 2015, intention is to use the following outline:

1) LF define the theme(s) for the conference
2) CFP open officially with announcement(s) defining the content wanted
3) CFP closes and LF selects talks and only ask for advice if needed.
4) LF makes and publishes the schedule

There will not be a ASF program committee, and of course the apacheCON team
will
be in contact with LF and help with announcements etc.

As said many times today, this is a needed step to make the numbers of
paying attendees
grow and thereby create a base we can built on.

I had the opportunity in Austin to talk with Rich and Ross as well as LF,
and we all agree
on both goal and roadmap.

Let us all make sure ACEU a blazing success and thereby take a step towards
a common
goal.

rgds
jan I.

Re: Presentation selections for ACEU 2015 Budapest.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 20, 2015, at 10:43 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> Rereading today's threads about ACEU 2015, made me realize that I have been
> unclear.
>
> For ACEU 2015, intention is to use the following outline:
>
> 1) LF define the theme(s) for the conference
> 2) CFP open officially with announcement(s) defining the content wanted
> 3) CFP closes and LF selects talks and only ask for advice if needed.
> 4) LF makes and publishes the schedule

This is inline with what my thoughts are as well. Fwiw, I think

1) We have *way* too many tracks at ApacheCon NA (not sure about EU, never had the opportunity to attend one). Seeing 10-15 attendees at a talk is disheartening  :-/.

2) We have *way* too narrow scope of most talks (not all).

What I would personally like to see is focus on a theme, or particular technologies, and how those affects and works with various Apache Foundation projects. A few example ideas that (just randomly pulled out of my magic hat):

   1) HTTP/2 and Apache - Where are we going with the next gen Web protocols?
   2) TLS and Apache - Securing the internet the Apache way.
   3) Datamining your Apache data - How to get all your <X>, <Y> and <Z> Apache projects data into <W> (Hadoop?)
   4) State of data transport - There are plenty of Apache projects dealing with data transports, and some IETF work as well.

Just my $.01,

— Leif