Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Adrian Ghizaru <ad...@rpromo.com> on 2002/08/04 20:43:07 UTC

DirectoryIndex file?

Hello all!

I have finally managed to configure Embperl and Embperl::Object into running with mod_perl, but am now facing another problem. Embperl::Object does not seem to search for the DirectoryIndex file... What I mean is that if I specify the file in my URL, everything works fine, but if I only give the folder, www.example.com/ , I receive my fallback file and the logs report a 404 on file '/' ... Am I missing an option? Apache's DirectoryIndex directive is well specified...

Also, Gerald, are you considering puting together a team that would polish the documentation into something more useful than simply a reference of options? Remember my last question, where I forgot to use Embperl_UseEnv? (I also noticed someone else overlooked this). Even after I knew the answer, it took me some time to find the place in the docs where this is specified... After I get a better grip on this thing, I would gladly contribute with anything you could require...

Regards,
- Adrian

Re: DirectoryIndex file?

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Hi,

>I have finally managed to configure Embperl and Embperl::Object into
running with
> mod_perl, but am now facing another problem. Embperl::Object does not seem
> search for the DirectoryIndex file...

Yes, that a known (at least to me) problem. Workaround is to let
Embperl::Object handle only the files you need, so Apache gets a chance to
pick up your index file. To do this add something like

EMBPERL_URIMATCH "\.htm.?|\.epl$"

Of course you need to customize the regex to catch the file extentions you
are using.

>Also, Gerald, are you considering puting together a team that would polish
the
> documentation into something more useful than simply a reference of
options?
> Remember my last question, where I forgot to use Embperl_UseEnv?
> (I also noticed someone else overlooked this). Even after I knew the
answer,
> it took me some time to find the place in the docs where this is
specified...
> After I get a better grip on this thing, I would gladly contribute with
anything you could require...

I know the documentation of Embperl 2.0 is really bad. Most things are not
updated from Embperl 1, so you run in the wrong direction sometimes. A lot
of things are not documentated at all. For me updateing the docs is the most
important thing at the moment, but it's a lot of work so it may take some
time, but step by step things should get better. (Just at the weekend I
wrote more about Embperl_UseEnv (not online yet) :-)

Anybody who likes to contribute is highly appreciated, but I fear at the
moment I have to first write things down once, before they can be improved.

Anyway comments, improments or help are always welcome

Gerald