Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Hugh Brien <hp...@home.com> on 2001/11/21 03:17:35 UTC

IDBroker and Turbine Version

Does TDK support IdBroker for the ID_TABLE using the MSSQL database?  or do
I have autoincrement  Everything else seems to be working except for this.
Any help would be appreciated.  What is the best way to test the IDBroker
functions outside of the web environment,  Calling it directly for example
r,
Hugh

Re: IDBroker and Turbine Version

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 11/21/01 5:21 AM, "Hugh Brien" <hp...@home.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  This helps a lot. I am going to have to think a
> little harder about what pieces of Turbine I am going to use moving forward.
> At this point in time, given that I have to use MSSQL server the questions
> is  what is the best combination of TDK, Turbine, Torque.  I have CVS
> downloads of all of the projects and I am pretty comfortable with building.
> Much of my confusion has come about because I am working with Jetspeed,
> Turbine, Torque and the TDK 2.1 at the same time.

Yes getting Jetspeed working with standard versions of Turbine can IMO be a
royal PITA but we are trying to align versions. I'm waiting for a message
back from Santiago about any other compatibility problems.

> I wrote a test class for IDBroker. For those of try to get familar with it
> you may want to try it out.  You need to supply your own Peer class or just
> use one from Turbine.

If you have a test for the IDBroker can you submit it so that I can include
it in the Torque testbed? If you look at runtime tests in torque you could
cleanup your test below to work with it. Soon you will be able to use the
decoupled Torque within Jetspeed.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 11/21/01 3:16 AM, "Hugh Brien" <hp...@home.com> wrote:

> Jason,
> Thanks for the response, I am just trying to understand the relationship
> between the following, if I get it, I will write a paper on it.  The error
> we got on SQL server under TDK 2.1 was that NEXT_ID was not being written to
> the ID_TABLE.

You are using the decoupled Torque, right? We encountered some problems
where the IDBroker wasn't working with Postgres because the SQL generated
wasn't something that Postgres liked. If you are getting an SQL error than
send us the SQL we definitely could have missed because we haven't tested
with MSSQL. Can you successfully run the testbed? That should give you some
indication of what's going on.

> 1. Using IdBroker vs None vs Native vs AutoIncrement

There is really only

-> IDBroker
-> Native
-> None

Using the "idbroker" the ids are obtained from the IDBroker via a portable
mechansim (or getting there :-)).

Using "native" means that the target RDB's internal mechanism for generating
ids will be used. So that's using serial columns in Postgres, autoincrement
in MySQL and sequences in Oracle. I'm not sure if the "native" method is
workng for MSSQL. The MSSQL adapter is a subclass of the DBSybase Adapter so
you'll probably want to look at that to see if it is generating the correct
SQL for obtaining ids natively for MSSQL.

> 2. Which projects support which type of ID generation
>
> TDK does ?

"idbroker" "none" "native" using decoupled Torque so that's 3.x
"idbroker" "none" "autoincrement" "sequence" in 2.x

> Jetspeed ?

I believe David is going to attempt to use decoupled Torque, he's waiting
for me to make it easily available for use in 2.x

> Turbine 2 ?

uses torque within the 2.x tree.

> Turbine 3 ?

uses decoupled torque