Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Dan S <da...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/24 08:38:17 UTC

Ci stability

Hello all,

I've had a pr that has been open for a little over a month (several
feedback cycles happened), and I've never seen a fully passing build (tests
in completely different parts of the codebase seemed to fail, often
timeouts). A cursory look at open PRs seems to indicate that mine is not
the only one. I was wondering if there is a place where all the flaky tests
are being tracked, and if it makes sense to fix (or at least temporarily
disable) them so that confidence in new PRs could be increased.

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Ci stability

Posted by Dan S <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Colin, I have a draft PR open which I occasionally check on and
disable the failing tests, I'll update it and see if it passes.

Thanks,

Daniel Scanteianu

Re: Ci stability

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.

Re: Ci stability

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hi Dan,

Re: Ci stability

Posted by Dan S <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ci stability

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for pointing this out. Flaky tests are a perennial problem. We knock them out every now and then, but eventually more spring up.

I’ve had some luck in the past filing Jira tickets for the failing tests as they pop up in my PRs. Another thing that seems to motivate people is to open a PR to disable the test in question, as you mention. That can be a bit aggressive, though, so it wouldn’t be my first suggestion.