Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> on 2016/03/11 19:19:05 UTC

Branches during Avatica release

tl;dr: I suggest that we avoid committing to master branch until the
Avatica release is final.

Avatica is being released from branch-avatica-1.7, while Calcite
development continues on master. After the release, we'll want to
bring any Avatica changes back onto master branch, which will become
Avatica's dev branch again. It would nice (not critical) if we could
avoid a rebase and force push after the Avatica release, so I suggest
that we avoid committing to master until the Avatica release is final
(probably early next week).

Julian

Re: Branches during Avatica release

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
A merge commit if we really must. We’ve managed to do without them until now, and the history is simpler for it. Because Calcite’s pace of development is fairly slow, it’s no hardship to close master branch for a few days. This might all be academic — it looks as if avatica-1.7.0-rc1 is going to pass.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Kind of defeats the purpose using the maven-release-plugin, IMO :)

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sarnath <st...@gmail.com>.
It would serve like a 'marker' indicating Avatica's independence day. And
that's good in certain ways - You will be able to inspect, audit from a
future point, just in case if you have to.

PS: Me not a calcite developer... Just a developer developing his
development skills and partipating in development forums of interest.

Re: Branches during Avatica release

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.