Posted to dev@toree.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/01 17:23:08 UTC

Toree Releases and other ASF issues, was Re: Toree Installation

With my "mentor hat" on,  I wonder how come we are advertising this as the
official way to install Apache Toree, without having an official Apache
Toree release ?

To me, this is a big problem, first because this hasn't gone via any
release review, and we already know we have ASL2.0 incompatible licenses
with Toree. We have been granted permission to work on a release with
proper disclaimers, but I believe none of these disclaimers are in place
yet.

Also, when I lookup Toree in Pypi https://pypi.python.org/pypi/toree, the
stats seems more of a regular release (then just something that a dev would
try to check something with the latest code). They also don't get updated
nightly, which also gives the impression of stability that is available
with a release.

   - *Downloads (All Versions):*
   - 84 downloads in the last day
   - 335 downloads in the last week
   - 1307 downloads in the last month

I would really just ask to remove any non-release available artifacts
related to Toree, but I would compromise if we make the necessary
adjustments on the documentation and other sites to denote the "SNAPSHOT"
type of release, and mention this is not an official release. And that we
make the top priority of the community to make a release in the next few
weeks.

Thanks

Re: Toree Releases and other ASF issues, was Re: Toree Installation

Posted by Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com>.
@Luciano

>We have been granted permission to work on a release with
proper disclaimers, but I believe none of these disclaimers are in place
yet.

What are the proper disclaimers? Can you find out? It would be great if you
submit a PR.

Posted by Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com>.
Luciano,