Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/02 20:07:59 UTC

Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or refer me to relevant documentation.

Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or
refer me to relevant documentation.I am Unable to understand what is
documented at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html and
configure Tomcat in order to create a Java Servlet Development
Environment for me at my home machine

Re: Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or refer me to relevant documentation.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or refer me to relevant documentation.

Posted by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com>.
On 2 May 2011 23:47, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
>>
>> Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or
>> refer me to relevant documentation.I am Unable to understand what is
>> documented at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html and
>> configure Tomcat in order to create a Java Servlet Development
>> Environment for me at my home machine
>>
> Why Tomcat 5 ? That's an old version. If you want to do development, should
> you not use Tomcat 7.0, which is the current version ?

 I wont't Tomcat5  becauseI want to study for the SWCDE Exam which uses Tomcat5

Varuna

Re: Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or refer me to relevant documentation.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
> On 2 May 2011 23:43, Pid <pi...@pidster.com> wrote:
>> On 5/2/11 7:07 PM, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
>>> Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or
>>> refer me to relevant documentation.I am Unable to understand what is
>>> documented at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html and
>>> configure Tomcat in order to create a Java Servlet Development
>>> Environment for me at my home machine
>> What don't you understand?

> I don't understand How to do the following
> <Quote>
>          Unix daemon

etc..

Yes, I understand that this is a bit intimidating for a beginner.

You may have an easier choice, if the point is just to get a tomcat running on your system.
I do not know Fedora, but I imagine that like other Linuxes, it has a reasonably easy to
use package management system.  Maybe your easiest choice here is to find the tomcat
package in that packaging system, and click on the right buttons to install and run it.
You may not get the latest version that way, but it is definitely easier than compiling
jsvc.  As a matter of fact, the tomcat package for Fedora may already have jsvc in it.

If you are having trouble with that packaged tomcat, the right place to ask would be a
Fedora help list.

Re: Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or refer me to relevant documentation.

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Varuna Seneviratna
<va...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand How to do the following
> <Quote>
>         Unix daemon

If you're just setting up a local dev environment, I'd suggest you don't
really need to bother with jsvc -- keep it simple.

twitter: @hassan

Re: Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or refer me to relevant documentation.

Posted by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com>.
On 2 May 2011 23:43, Pid <pi...@pidster.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/11 7:07 PM, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
>> Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or
>> refer me to relevant documentation.I am Unable to understand what is
>> documented at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html and
>> configure Tomcat in order to create a Java Servlet Development
>> Environment for me at my home machine
>
> What don't you understand?

I don't understand How to do the following
<Quote>
         Unix daemon

    Tomcat can be run as a daemon using the jsvc tool from the
commons-daemon project. Source tarballs for jsvc are included with the
Tomcat binaries, and need to be compiled. Building jsvc requires a C
ANSI compiler (such as GCC), GNU Autoconf, and a JDK.

    Before running the script, the JAVA_HOME environment variable
should be set to the base path of the JDK. Alternately, when calling
the ./configure script, the path of the JDK may be specified using the
--with-java parameter, such as ./configure --with-java=/usr/java.

    Using the following commands should result in a compiled jsvc
binary, located in the $CATALINA_HOME/bin folder. This assumes that
GNU TAR is used, and that CATALINA_HOME is an environment variable
pointing to the base path of the Tomcat installation.

    Please note that you should use the GNU make (gmake) instead of
the native BSD make on FreeBSD systems.

        cd $CATALINA_HOME/bin
        tar xvfz commons-deamon-native.tar.gz
        cd commons-daemon-1.0.x-native-src/unix
        ./configure
        make
        cp jsvc ../..
        cd ../..

    Tomcat can then be run as a daemon using the following commands.

        cd $CATALINA_HOME
        ./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp
./bin/bootstrap.jar \
            -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err \
            org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

    jsvc has other useful parameters, such as -user which causes it to
switch to another user after the daemon initialization is complete.
This allows, for example, running Tomcat as a non privileged user
while still being able to use privileged ports. jsvc --help will
return the full jsvc usage information. In particular, the -debug
option is useful to debug issues running jsvc.

    The file $CATALINA_HOME/bin/commons-daemon-1.0.x-native-src/unix/native/Tomcat5.sh
can be used as a template for starting Tomcat automatically at boot
time from /etc/init.d.

    Note that the Commons-Daemon JAR file must be on your runtime
classpath to run Tomcat in this manner. The Commons-Daemon JAR file is
in the Class-Path entry of the bootstrap.jar manifest, but if you get
a ClassNotFoundException or a NoClassDefFoundError for a
Commons-Daemon class, add the Commons-Daemon JAR to the -cp argument
when launching jsvc.

</Quote>

Re: Can anybody Please tell me How to Configure Tomcat 5 on Fedora 14 or refer me to relevant documentation.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.