Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2002/08/01 15:04:54 UTC

Re: map:resource issue

On 31.Jul.2002 -- 09:50 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As pointed out by Lorenzo De Sio on user group (Subj: Multiple
> map:resource calls), there is an issue with map:resource handling.
>
> On one side, sitemap.xmap states:
>
> <!--
>   Resources are pipeline fragments that may be used from different
>   pipeline fragments. For our needs, they behave exactly like
>   pipelines, only that they are not accessible from outside.
>   Hence I will explain what's inside below for pipelines.

Yes, I've written that paragraph. It is a simplification that I
thought would be OK when introducing sitemap components.

> On the other, implementation of the sitemap stops processing right after
> call to resource, which means that resource is not fragment at all, but
> more similar to a view, which must be placed at the end of pipeline. In
> my understanding of word "fragment", fragment can be used in the middle
> of pipeline - which is not possible right now.

Right, that's the behaviour that resources always exhibited. So that
is "correct".

On a side note: treeprocessor has a "bug" that resources return to the
calling place if they don't have a serializer. There has been some
discussion around that feature. AFAIR it was to be cosidered and
should not be advertised nor removed. Many were in favour of keeping
it.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

RE: map:resource issue

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Christian Haul [mailto:haul@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de]
>
> On 31.Jul.2002 -- 09:50 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As pointed out by Lorenzo De Sio on user group (Subj: Multiple
> > map:resource calls), there is an issue with map:resource handling.
> >
> > On one side, sitemap.xmap states:
> >
> > <!--
> >   Resources are pipeline fragments that may be used from different
> >   pipeline fragments. For our needs, they behave exactly like
> >   pipelines, only that they are not accessible from outside.
> >   Hence I will explain what's inside below for pipelines.
>
> Yes, I've written that paragraph. It is a simplification that I
> thought would be OK when introducing sitemap components.
>
> > On the other, implementation of the sitemap stops processing right
> > after call to resource, which means that resource is not fragment
> > at all, but more similar to a view, which must be placed at the
> > end of pipeline. In my understanding of word "fragment", fragment
> > can be used in the middle of pipeline - which is not possible right
> > now.
>
> Right, that's the behaviour that resources always exhibited. So that
> is "correct".

Ok. I found that on userdocs/concepts/sitemap.html resource described
as:
"
The <map:resource> element is used as a placeholder for pipelines that
are used several times inside the document
"

Won't then this be better:

"
The <map:resource> element is used to define pipelines fragments that
can be reused several times inside the sitemap.
<map:resource> pipeline fragment can contain any sitemap components and
can include other resources. After execution of the resource, complete
pipeline must be assembled, containing from a reader, or one generator,
zero or more transformer(s), and one serializer.
".

> On a side note: treeprocessor has a "bug" that resources return to the
> calling place if they don't have a serializer. There has been some
> discussion around that feature. AFAIR it was to be cosidered and
> should not be advertised nor removed. Many were in favour of keeping
> it.

:-/

I won't say I'm happy to hear about this kind of bugs...

Vadim