Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Aaron Smuts <aa...@wisc.edu> on 2003/12/01 07:03:40 UTC

jcs

For the short term, I'm not sure what is best for JCS or Jakarta.
Stepping back and looking at JCS in relation to other Jakarta projects
might be helpful.

The commons is described as a "Repository for small scale, reusable,
code components that are useful in multiple Jakarta subprojects."
A small-scale component does not sound like a good description of JCS.
Instead, JCS looks more like a standalone tool such as Log4J, although
JCS is somewhat bigger.  I'm not sure this means it should be its own
project at this point or not.

JCS is being used on its own outside of Jakarta and within, making it
look more like a candidate for standalone status.  Also, there are
commercial standalone caching applications on the market.

I'm sure JCS would be much more widely used if we got out a release.
Right now, the major impediment is that users have to build it
themselves.  If we had a release, more sample applications and further
documentation, it would become more widely adopted.  It is somewhat
hidden right now: it's not listed on the main product page on the
Jakarta site.

One reason one might give for not making JCS a top level project is that
it is understaffed right now, though this may change if it was moved up.

Aaron Smuts

Re: jcs

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@jamestaylor.org>.
> I'm sure JCS would be much more widely used if we got out a release.
> Right now, the major impediment is that users have to build it
> themselves.  If we had a release, more sample applications and further

For a long time I hoped a release could be avoided until after the
JCache JSR was at least in public draft form and we could decide if we
wanted to use their API. However at this point I can only assume that
JSR is completely dead so it may not be a realistic concern.

-- jt (who doesn't care where JCS 'lives')

Re: jcs

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 1 Dec 2003, at 09:57, Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

> I agree to Henri JCS could need more publicity!

luckily enough it's apache newsletter time!

i know from personal experience that writing up something for the
newsletter really does generate interest. JCS sounds like something
that people would be interested in - if they knew.

in terms of releases, one approach that has been found to work in the
jakarta-commons (when faced with similar difficulties) is creating
less-than-one releases (for example, a 0.1 release).

- robert

Re: jcs

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> Now information
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/jcs/index.html
>
> tells me too little. Can someone explain: does it support any type of
> transactions or could it easily be augmented to?
>
> Hope this is not too much OT and thanks in advance,

I think JCS is getting extra attention from Hibernate, with most docs on
this page:

http://www.hibernate.org/61.html

JCS is the primary (sole) caching system provided for 2.0.
Unfortunately the Hibernate 2.1 release that is due out soon has a
pluggable caching architecture and is moving away from JCS as the
default, so this publicity opportunity may slip away soon.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: jcs

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@zeigermann.de>.
I agree to Henri JCS could need more publicity! I have implemented a
transactional cache for the Jakarta Slide project as the only Apache
caching thing I have found at that time was

http://db.apache.org/ojb/objectcache.html

which simply was not powerful enough.

Even tought ojb caching took some searching to actually find it as well,
I did not find JCS as on the turbine page there is just the name "JCS".
I did not imagine it was JCS caching in the first place.

Now information

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/jcs/index.html

tells me too little. Can someone explain: does it support any type of
transactions or could it easily be augmented to?

Hope this is not too much OT and thanks in advance,

Oliver

Re: jcs

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.