Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org> on 2010/05/06 17:31:31 UTC

Cayenne 3.0 is released

The Cayenne team are thrilled to announce the availability of Cayenne 3.0. Over the last few years a vast number of improvements have gone into Cayenne 3, and this release is already in use in large corporate installations, universities and other businesses driving web sites and other software.

This upgrade is recommended for all users of Cayenne. An overview of the major changes in 3.0 is available: http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/guide-to-30-features.html

Programmers who haven't used Cayenne before will find it a powerful and easy to use ORM, distinguished from other ORM tools by a clean and intuitive API, powerful three tier (ROP) option, flexible caching, a GUI modeler tool and much more. Cayenne is extremely stable; its huge suite of tests and long history mean that it is fast and reliable.

Programmers on this list who've been following Cayenne for some time are probably very familiar with version 3. If you've been working with the release candidates, just drop this final release into your project and keep working. There is nothing new compared to RC3 apart from a shiny new 'final' sticker.

http://cayenne.apache.org/download.html

The Cayenne team

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Jin Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all the workers ! ! ! !

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Gary Jarrel <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you guys... job well done!!!

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yahoo :)

Love Cayenne, just love it.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz>.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Tore Halset <ha...@pvv.ntnu.no>.
Congratulation on the hard and good work!

We have been using 3.0 milestones, release candidates and beta for a long time and it has been rock solid. We use Cayenne in our software to handle selling, buying, quality check and distribution of nautical charts to cruise ships, navies, pilots and harbors.

Thank you very much!

Regards
 - Tore.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Laurent Marchal <lm...@smausa.com>.
Just a word : Awesome !

Great job guys, and thank you.

Laurent Marchal

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Yes, in fact I was going to mention that on the dev list, but since
this question came up here...

We've already been doing some work on 3.1 while waiting for 3.0 to
stabilize. A few things that are already available on the SVN trunk
and will be included in the first 3.1 milestone are:

* Switched org.apache.cayenne.conf package to a completely new
configuration approach using a small built-in dependency injection
(DI) container. (this is actually pretty big - it resulted in a bunch
of improvements in many places).
* Simplified project structure by allowing only one DataDomain per
project (multiple domains can be used as separate projects)
* Switched Modeler preferences away from HSQLDB to use Java
preferences API. So no more lost preferences.

There are other things on the TODO list. Not all of them will make 3.1
(as we are hoping that full 3.1 cycle will be much shorter than 3.0).
Here are a few notable ones:

* Auto-merging multiple projects into one in runtime (this will allow
for easier implementation of reusable libraries that contain ORM
mapping).
* Merging SelectQuery and EJBQLQuery into a single object query that
can be created either via API or from String.
* Fully parameterized Collections returned from ObjectContext.

Cheers,
Andrus

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org>.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by gyhe <gy...@mail.tsinghua.edu.cn>.
That's very great!  Congratulations.

By the way, what will be  the major changes in the next version?

On Fri, 07 May 2010 01:31:31 +1000
Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Cayenne team are thrilled to announce the availability of Cayenne 3.0. Over the last few years a vast number of improvements have gone into Cayenne 3, and this release is already in use in large corporate installations, universities and other businesses driving web sites and other software.
>
> This upgrade is recommended for all users of Cayenne. An overview of the major changes in 3.0 is available: http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/guide-to-30-features.html
>
> Programmers who haven't used Cayenne before will find it a powerful and easy to use ORM, distinguished from other ORM tools by a clean and intuitive API, powerful three tier (ROP) option, flexible caching, a GUI modeler tool and much more. Cayenne is extremely stable; its huge suite of tests and long history mean that it is fast and reliable.
>
> Programmers on this list who've been following Cayenne for some time are probably very familiar with version 3. If you've been working with the release candidates, just drop this final release into your project and keep working. There is nothing new compared to RC3 apart from a shiny new 'final' sticker.
>
> http://cayenne.apache.org/download.html
>

> The Cayenne team
>

> --
> -------------------------->
> Aristedes Maniatis

 Guangyu HE, Depart.of Electrical Engineering,Tsinghua
Univ.,Beijing,100084,P.R.China

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Joe Baldwin <jf...@earthlink.net>.
I agree, excellent work!  Cayenne is clearly the best ORM available.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Borut Bolčina <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
:)  I love a good plot.

I would really like to see a unified cache introduced in future
versions of Cayenne.

regards Malcolm Edgar

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org>.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Marek Šabo <ms...@buk.cvut.cz>.
That's very good idea!
Btw, it was the Hibernate docs that made me switch ORM provider :)

--
Marek Šabo

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Joe Baldwin <jf...@earthlink.net>.
Here is my unsolicited opinion, for what it is worth:

It is my professional opinion that while Hibernate an impressive implementation, Cayenne excels on almost every measure except perhaps in the arena of perception by project managers.   If a project manager is even aware of the ORM design pattern, then the "conventional wisdom" is that the only or go-to ORM is "Hibernate".

Therefore, I believe that Arnaud's comments are spot-on for two reasons: first professional documentation will allow more developers to become familiar with Cayenne, and will in turn result in more Project Managers having knowledge that there is a better alternative for consideration.

While it is difficult for a development team to wear two hats, I believe that a high priority for Cayenne 3.0 now is to marketing itself as the "go-to" ORM for small,medium, & large scale Enterprise projects.

Re: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Arnaud Garcia <ar...@imagemed-87.com>.
Very good idea !!!,

Re: Cayenne 'the book', Was: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Arnaud Garcia <ar...@imagemed-87.com>.
Hello,

Thanks Ari,

Ready to help !

Writing a book for Cayenne is very important for the project now... (for
marketing...) But beyond marketing lot of developpers (as me) know just 20%
of what we can do with Cayenne... and it is a bit frustrating..

Another point, is the integration with other frameworks (Tapestry, Wicket,
...). In the book we have to add some parts for this, because in a web
project, ORM is important, but we have to work with all of theses
frameworks, and you know that it is also a challenge !

It is very hard to find a book which talk about how to build a full web
application. But I really think,  we can do this because developpers just
need to know 'how to start' and how to correctly integrate these frameworks.

Very often IT managers, developpers choose a framework because they have a
complete example... So if we want to help Cayenne developpers teams we have
to share our experience with these frameworks integration problems...and I
really think it is a key for the success...

So, I think it will be very interesting two have some 'parts' with real
project (kind of real life tutorial):

A VERY simple draft can be:

... PART I : CAYENNE
            -
            - architecture of the framework..
            -  ...
            -
... PART II : WEB PROJECTS
      -
      - Wicket
             - how to set up a project : Maven, Cayenne, selenium....
             - how to wrap Cayenne object with Wicket models ?
                   - Why Wicket serialization mechanism could be a problem
with Cayenne ...
             -
             - How to test your web app : Selenium configuration,
             - Optimization: Jmeter configuration (Thread group, ...)

      - Tapestry

.... PART 3

Arnaud

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org>.