Posted to user@struts.apache.org by phillips1021 <bp...@ku.edu> on 2009/02/15 21:53:14 UTC

xWork-2.1.3 available yet that fixes problem with Struts 2.1.6?

We have a problem with using Struts 2.1.6 because we use Maven to manage our
dependencies and because we have Tomcat installed in a folder with spaces on
our development computers.  This causes a problem for xWork-2.1.2 as
documented here:

http://www.nabble.com/NPE-initializing-2.1.6-showcase-in-Tomcat-6.0.18-td21475914.html#a21611989

http://www.nabble.com/struts-2.1.6-conventions-plugin-questions-td21614167.html#a21718979

Since we use Maven to manage our dependencies our projects using Struts
2.1.6 automatically receive  xWork-2.1.2.

Does anyone know when xWork-2.1.3 will be available and when Struts 2.1.6's
pom will be updated to use it?

We have halted our upgrade to Struts 2.1.6 because of this issue.

Bruce

Re: xWork-2.1.3 available yet that fixes problem with Struts 2.1.6?

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
We should get an xwork build out sooner than later, to fix this
problem and the one related to conversion.

musachy

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Sunday 15 February 2009 18:34:05 phillips1021 wrote:
> Dave and Wes - Thank you both for the replies.
>
> We can exclude the xWork 2.1.2 jar dependency from Struts 2.1.6 in our
> pom.xml file for our projects as Wes suggests.  However, it doesn't appear
> that xWork 2.1.3 jar is available in the repository as this fails:
>
> <dependency>
>     	<groupId>com.opensymphony</groupId>
>     	<artifactId>xwork</artifactId>
>     	<version>2.1.3</version>
>     	<scope>compile</scope>
>     </dependency>
>
> Bruce

2.1.3 is a snapshot. I don't know if xwork is published to a snapshot repo. I
would try enabling snapshots, then change the dependency to 2.1.3-SNAPSHOT

If that doesn't work (which it may not), you can grab a copy of it somewhere,
or build it yourself. I would suggest building, it only takes a minute to
checkout from SVN and compile, this way you can trust the source. If you grab
a copy of the jar, rather than building, you'll have to `mvn install` it.

Of course, you can go the ol' fashioned (C / OSS) way and find the patch that
fixes your problem, apply it and rebuild the 2.1.2 with the patch applied.
Either way, there are many options, I suppose the route you take depends more
on your needs than anything else.

-Wes

--

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Re: xWork-2.1.3 available yet that fixes problem with Struts 2.1.6?

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Sunday 15 February 2009 18:02:17 Dave Newton wrote:
> phillips1021 wrote:
> > Since we use Maven to manage our dependencies our projects using Struts
> > 2.1.6 automatically receive  xWork-2.1.2.
>
> Does declaring your own dependency for XWork (not xWork) 2.1.3 work, or
> does it just retrieve both?

You can exclude XWork in your pom.xml, then declare a dependency on what you
want. I do it all the time with Spring... The Struts2-Spring plugin brings in
2.5.3, but for a while, there was a reason to get 2.5.6 (I'm trying to
remember the issue, but it was a bug with a persistence-related class in
2.5.3). Anyhow, here's an example -

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.openjpa</groupId>
            <artifactId>openjpa-persistence</artifactId>
            <version>1.2.0</version>
            <exclusions>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>geronimo-jms_1.1_spec</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
                <exclusion>
                    <artifactId>geronimo-jta_1.1_spec</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
            </exclusions>
        </dependency>

(sorry example doesn't relate to the rant above, but the same idea). Once you
exclude some libs, you, of course, have to bring something in to take it's
place.

-Wes

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
phillips1021 wrote:
> Since we use Maven to manage our dependencies our projects using Struts
> 2.1.6 automatically receive  xWork-2.1.2.

Does declaring your own dependency for XWork (not xWork) 2.1.3 work, or
does it just retrieve both?

> Does anyone know when xWork-2.1.3 will be available and when Struts 2.1.6's
> pom will be updated to use it?

Struts 2.1.6 is already released; its pom won't change. I haven't been
keeping track of recent commits, so I don't know if there will be
2.1.6.n or if we'll bump the build number.

Dave