Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by SHUANG SU <su...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/05 08:01:06 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache ECharts (incubating) 4.3.0 (release candidate 1)

I am pleased to be calling this vote for the release of Apache ECharts
(incubating) 4.3.0 (release candidate 1).

Apache ECharts community has voted and approved the release.

Vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e17e9a8d94c81019b073ef7f5cee9075d6921f01cdd8840f9618b012@%3Cdev.echarts.apache.org%3E

Results thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0d52c6ed1e5d1b6bc72b56e1b240063577fde4d9cc3c227d33396caa@%3Cdev.echarts.apache.org%3E

The release candidate to be voted over is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/echarts/4.3.0-rc.1/

The release candidate is signed with a GPG key available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/echarts/KEYS

The Git commit for this release is:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-echarts.git;a=commit;h=b62ab99

The Release Note is available in:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/echarts/4.3.0-rc.1/RELEASE_NOTE.txt

Some shell commands for validating the release:

```shell
# Download the release:
curl
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/echarts/4.3.0-rc.1/apache-echarts-4.3.0-rc.1-incubating-src.zip
-o apache-echarts-4.3.0-rc.1-incubating-src.zip
unzip apache-echarts-4.3.0-rc.1-incubating-src.zip -d
apache-echarts-4.3.0-rc.1-incubating-src > /dev/null

# Rebuild the project (Node.js environment is required):
cd "apache-echarts-4.3.0-rc.1-incubating-src" && npm install && cd ..
node "apache-echarts-4.3.0-rc.1-incubating-src/build/build.js" --release
# (See help: `node
"apache-echarts-4.3.0-rc.1-incubating-src/build/build.js" --help`)
```

Please vote on releasing this package as:
Apache ECharts (incubating) 4.3.0 (release candidate 1)
by "2019-09-08T08:57:30.519Z".

[ ] +1 Release this package
[ ] 0 I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object

Anyone can participate in testing and voting, not just committers, please
feel free to try out the release candidate and provide your votes.

A checklist for reference:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/Incubator+Release+Checklist

Thanks,
------------------------------
 Su Shuang (100pah)
------------------------------

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache ECharts (incubating) 4.3.0 (release candidate 1)

Posted by Yi Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, thanks for the advice.

We don't recommend using author tag any more. The remaining author tags in
these codes can also be removed.

I'd suggest fixing these issues and start a new release vote.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:36 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > File author is optional for me, if you want to keep it, just keep it, as
> it
> > has ASF header already.
>
> It was long ago decided that @author tags should generally not be used in
> any ASF code. This the main discussion was back in 2004 I think and the
> board recommend that author tags not be used for both legal and community
> reasons. Perhaps someone who been around longer to me can remember the
> discussion / find a link?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Yi Shen
Senior Developer
Baidu, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache ECharts (incubating) 4.3.0 (release candidate 1)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks for bringing this up, look forward the discussion and link too.

See for instance see discussion items F in [1]. Legally, I think the discussion was around if your name in there then you could be a target, however if you name is just on the commit, then you are protected by the legal shield the ASF gives.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2004/board_minutes_2004_09_22.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache ECharts (incubating) 4.3.0 (release candidate 1)

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年9月5日周四 下午11:36写道:

> Hi,
>
> > File author is optional for me, if you want to keep it, just keep it, as
> it
> > has ASF header already.
>
> It was long ago decided that @author tags should generally not be used in
> any ASF code. This the main discussion was back in 2004 I think and the
> board recommend that author tags not be used for both legal and community
> reasons. Perhaps someone who been around longer to me can remember the
> discussion / find a link?

Hi
Thanks for bringing this up, look forward the discussion and link too.

Sheng Wu 吴晟

Apache SkyWalking, Apache ShardingSphere(Incubating), Zipkin
Twitter, wusheng1108

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shen Yi

Based on the license issue of source code[5][28], I also commend to run the
release vote after these two fixed.

Yi Shen <sh...@gmail.com> 于2019年9月5日周四 下午10:45写道:

回复:Re: [VOTE] Release Apache ECharts (incubating) 4.3.0 (release candidate 1)

Posted by Liu Ted <te...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
As Justin said: "You might want to consider using the work in progress disclaimer [29] and documenting the issues in that until they are fixed."

Best regards,

Ted Liu,
ASF Member, Incubator PMC Member

  2019 年 9 月 6 日周五 14:10,Justin Mclean<ju...@gmail.com> 写道:   Hi,
I did note that somr of those author tags reference external github repos
which seems odd if they are ASF code.
Thanks.
Justin

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
I would only suggest if we are comfortable with that, use tag only for
release versions.
Otherwise, let's work on the document about the tag usage for clearance.

I believe the tag usage is no strict rule, but many projects are only using
it for release or release rc during voting.

Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com> 于2019年9月5日周四 下午11:10写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@gmail.com>.