Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2017/04/18 03:21:21 UTC

Re: [9/9] incubator git commit: Continuing progress on converting to asciidoc.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM,  <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> Continuing progress on converting to asciidoc.

John,

I can't tell what you're doing from these huge commits.

Are you changing any content?

If no data is being lost, how can we confirm that?

Does the method you're working on allow people to edit the site after
merely an SVN checkout, or would people have to install anything?

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [9/9] incubator git commit: Continuing progress on converting to asciidoc.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:26 AM Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 6:39 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com
> >
> > wrote:

> >> John,
> >>
> >> I can't tell what you're doing from these huge commits.
> >>
> > Don't worry, I can't tell either.
>
> Uh.... haha ha?
>
> No.  Not cool.  IPMC Members and interested Incubator community
> members have the right and the responsibility to review your changes.

I'm not sure I'm following.  But I think you'll get it with the rest of the

> >> Are you changing any content?
> >>

> > So far, here's the big changes I've done:
> >
> > - Split mentor guide into several parts (it was way too big)
> > - Not converted proposal, and names.  Not that I don't want to, but
> haven't
> > gotten to them yet.
> > - Not converted the Eclipse and Maven release guides, need to find a
> better
> > home for those.  I'll convert those if I can't find a better home.
>
> OK, let me confirm: There are no substantive changes intended. These
> are only being reformatted, and the split of the mentor guide is
> driven by technical necessity.
>
> >> If no data is being lost, how can we confirm that?
> >>
> > Word of mouth?  Its going to require significant QA to verify.  Many of
> the
> > links won't work, so need reviewers.
>
> Who's going to do this QA?  How do you envision a before and after
> check happening? Eyeballing changes on the scale of the Incubator
> website is not workable.
>
> >> Does the method you're working on allow people to edit the site after
> >> merely an SVN checkout, or would people have to install anything?
> >>

> > The hope is to actually make it as simple as CMS, without requiring the
> > overhead of infra running/maintaining CMS.  Greg's team has been testing
> > with github integration on the infra site, and I plan to test that here
> as
> > well.  Basically, you would be able to edit online via github and commit,
> > as long as you have write access to the repo.  If you don't have write
> > access a pull request would be created automatically.
>
> OK, glad to hear that.
>
> > This is all conceptual at this point, mind you.
>
> So is this just a prototype?  In other words, it's a dry run and when
> it's finished you'll present a plan for an orderly transition?

I think so.  So far, the bulk of the changes are applying regex based
changes.  I gave up trying to import the svn repo, may need to follow up
with infra, so then we'll actually see the file changes when ready.  I
don't really want to lose history.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM,  <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Continuing progress on converting to asciidoc.
>
> John,
>
> I can't tell what you're doing from these huge commits.

Don't worry, I can't tell either.  To be honest, I thought I had already
pushed up some of these pages, but was wrong.  Apologies with the email
spam.