Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by dogrdon <dg...@planning.org> on 2013/07/17 21:35:46 UTC

Nutch how to crawl but not index the site navigation (w/ Solr)

admittedly this is a cross-post from stackoverflow, but I don't know if there
are a whole lot of Nutch folks over there.

My question is about crawling HTML navigation menus, but not indexing the
text for those links in Solr.

While I have seen some older discussions from several years ago about making
this an option in later development, but I am not really finding anything
via searching that gives a good indication of how one might exlude site
navigation menu content from the content that Nutch indexes to Solr during a
crawl.

That is, I am seeing the navigation menu text in all content that is getting
indexed and this damages search because then all content will have the same
text in it. Obviously I want to keep using the site navigation for crawling,
but I don't want it indexed. Is there a best practice for accomplishing this
with Nutch? Like a way to wrap the navigation in some kind of tag , for
example?

I am new to Nutch (obviously) so I don't know the best place that this would
be accomplished.

thanks very much.

Re: Nutch how to crawl but not index the site navigation (w/ Solr)

Posted by Joe Zhang <sm...@gmail.com>.
This is good to know, Markus. This presents some challenge:

- In wide-spectrum crawling, it is hard to know the page structure ahead of
time.
- Even if we do, how do we specify something conditional in nutch-site.xml?

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.

Posted by dogrdon <dg...@planning.org>.
Thanks Sebastian,

I think I will try looking into the HtmlParseFilter since we do have control
over the content we are crawling and indexing.

Re: Nutch how to crawl but not index the site navigation (w/ Solr)

Posted by Sebastian Nagel <wa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,