Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ar...@waikato.ac.nz on 2005/10/31 02:14:31 UTC

Would like to rewrite arbitrary headers

Greetings, battlers.

I would like to rewrite headers on incoming spam without having SA
prepend "X-Spam-" to them.  Two reasons:

First, I want to get rid of "Disposition-Notification-To" because many
of my users configure their Outlook to automatically honour delivery
notifications.  That creates an outgoing email when they read or
delete a spam message.

Second, I have a set of GroupWise users.  They cannot write rules on
arbitrary headers, such as "X-Spam-Flag".  Instead, they can only
write rules based on a list of headers that Novell have chosen, none
of which begins with "X-Spam-".

Sadly both of these reasons sound lame: daft Outlook users and a daft
Novell application.  However there's nothing I can do about that so
I'm going to hack SA instead.

Does anyone else have similar needs?  Is such a feature already in the
works?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Donkin                  Waikato University, Hamilton,  New Zealand

Re: Would like to rewrite arbitrary headers

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: <ar...@waikato.ac.nz>

> Greetings, battlers.
>
> I would like to rewrite headers on incoming spam without having SA
> prepend "X-Spam-" to them.  Two reasons:
>
> First, I want to get rid of "Disposition-Notification-To" because many
> of my users configure their Outlook to automatically honour delivery
> notifications.  That creates an outgoing email when they read or
> delete a spam message.
>
> Second, I have a set of GroupWise users.  They cannot write rules on
> arbitrary headers, such as "X-Spam-Flag".  Instead, they can only
> write rules based on a list of headers that Novell have chosen, none
> of which begins with "X-Spam-".
>
> Sadly both of these reasons sound lame: daft Outlook users and a daft
> Novell application.  However there's nothing I can do about that so
> I'm going to hack SA instead.
>
> Does anyone else have similar needs?  Is such a feature already in the
> works?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You may need to use a tool like procmail to perform this rewriting.
With procmail, at least, it would be duck soup to rewrite those
kind of headers or delete them altogether.

{^_^}

Re: Would like to rewrite arbitrary headers

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.
ard@waikato.ac.nz a écrit :

>Greetings, battlers.
>
>I would like to rewrite headers on incoming spam without having SA
>prepend "X-Spam-" to them.  Two reasons:
>
>First, I want to get rid of "Disposition-Notification-To" because many
>of my users configure their Outlook to automatically honour delivery
>notifications.  That creates an outgoing email when they read or
>delete a spam message.
>
>Second, I have a set of GroupWise users.  They cannot write rules on
>arbitrary headers, such as "X-Spam-Flag".  Instead, they can only
>write rules based on a list of headers that Novell have chosen, none
>of which begins with "X-Spam-".
>
>Sadly both of these reasons sound lame: daft Outlook users and a daft
>Novell application.  However there's nothing I can do about that so
>I'm going to hack SA instead.
>
>Does anyone else have similar needs?  Is such a feature already in the
>works?

you can do this in many places:
- MTA. with postfix, you can use header_checks (after the content filter
for the x-spam header) and REPLACE or IGNORE
- content filter. you can hack amavisd if you're using it.
- MDA. this is easy with either procmail or maildrop

Re: Would like to rewrite arbitrary headers

Posted by Alan Premselaar <al...@12inch.com>.
ard@waikato.ac.nz wrote:
> Greetings, battlers.
>
> I would like to rewrite headers on incoming spam without having SA
> prepend "X-Spam-" to them.  Two reasons:
>
> First, I want to get rid of "Disposition-Notification-To" because many
> of my users configure their Outlook to automatically honour delivery
> notifications.  That creates an outgoing email when they read or
> delete a spam message.
>
> Second, I have a set of GroupWise users.  They cannot write rules on
> arbitrary headers, such as "X-Spam-Flag".  Instead, they can only
> write rules based on a list of headers that Novell have chosen, none
> of which begins with "X-Spam-".
>
> Sadly both of these reasons sound lame: daft Outlook users and a daft
> Novell application.  However there's nothing I can do about that so
> I'm going to hack SA instead.
>
> Does anyone else have similar needs?  Is such a feature already in the
> works?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you're using Sendmail as your MTA, you could use MIMEDefang (a
milter) to do that very easily.

alan

Re: Would like to rewrite arbitrary headers

Posted by Chris Thielen <cm...@someone.dhs.org>.
ard@waikato.ac.nz wrote:

>Greetings, battlers.
>
>I would like to rewrite headers on incoming spam without having SA
>prepend "X-Spam-" to them.  Two reasons:

I'm not sure what your set up is, but I use procmail and formail to
rewrite headers.