Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> on 2001/04/21 23:27:21 UTC

Re: .vm, what does it stand for?

Jeremy C wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what does .vm stand for? Why is it the default
> extension for Velocity files?

Well, nothing, actually.  It's a parallel to the '.wm' commonly used in
WebMacro templates..

It's actually plays no part in the processing of the templates.  You
could name a template

foo.vm
foo.vel
foo.rupert

and Velocity won't care.

We called them 'vm' from the beginning, so it stuck.

Good question though....

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                               geirm@optonline.net

Re: .vm, what does it stand for?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Rafal Krzewski wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
>
> > > Just out of curiosity, what does .vm stand for? Why is it the default
> > > extension for Velocity files?
> >
> > Well, nothing, actually.  It's a parallel to the '.wm' commonly used in
> > WebMacro templates..
>
> Does velocity need to have that kind of similarity to WebMacro?
> I don't think so...
>
> I asked the same question long time ago, along with the proposal to
> change
> the default extension of the templates to 'vt' (as in Velocity
> Template).
> This extension seems nice to me because 'distance equals velocity times
> time' :-) (for constant velocity, actualy)

The only problem is that people have grown accustomed to .vm  Velocity
itself doesn't care a whit...

Why not start in Turbine? :)

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                               geirm@optonline.net

Re: .vm, what does it stand for?

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@e-point.pl>.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:

> > Just out of curiosity, what does .vm stand for? Why is it the default
> > extension for Velocity files?
>
> Well, nothing, actually.  It's a parallel to the '.wm' commonly used in
> WebMacro templates..

Does velocity need to have that kind of similarity to WebMacro?
I don't think so...

I asked the same question long time ago, along with the proposal to
change
the default extension of the templates to 'vt' (as in Velocity
Template).
This extension seems nice to me because 'distance equals velocity times
time' :-) (for constant velocity, actualy)

Rafal

--
Rafal Krzewski
Senior Internet Developer