Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by "Stallard,David" <st...@oclc.org> on 2012/10/17 16:44:16 UTC

Error 500 -- Too Many Open Files?

We just ran into this error today with Archiva 1.3.5.  I found the
following Jira which notes this was a problem fixed in 1.3.3, but the
follow-up comments show others still having the problem in 1.3.4 and
1.3.5:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-1097

I also noticed that this Jira is referenced in the release notes of
1.3.5 as a resolved bug.

We fixed it by bouncing Archiva, which was the first time it has been
bounced since May 2012, so hopefully that means it will take some time
before we hit the limit again (although usage of this instance is
increasing rapidly).

Is there any known fix/workaround?  The ticket mentions a few ways to
raise limits, but it doesn't sound as if any of those worked.

Thanks,
David

Re: Error 500 -- Too Many Open Files?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/10/2012, at 6:45 AM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> 2012/10/17 Stallard,David <st...@oclc.org>:
>> My impression was that the "M" releases were like early or beta
>> releases, so we were waiting for a version 1.4 (with no "M") to be
>> released before thinking about upgrading.  Do I have the wrong
>> impression of the 1.4 versioning?
> I would say yes you're wrong :-) (but sure I'm not objective :-) ).
> Note this is M3 (not M1 :-) ).
> This is very marketing naming idea.
> I used the last version in a live system and don't see any issues
> (except that's faster :-) ).

Maybe I can put that another way...

David is right in what "milestone" signifies - it's not finished yet. But what Olivier is getting at is that M3 is already quite stable, particularly when using the older UI, and if you're having a particular problem with 1.3.5, it might help. The new UI might take another milestone release to tidy up any bugs that get found as more people use it.

As far as your original problem, what was fixed in that ticket was a specific leak that was causing a number of problems, much faster than 4 or 5 months (also why raising limits didn't work). For your case, it's probably manageable enough that it isn't worth spending a lot of time trying to figure out the cause, especially when there have been substantial improvements in the next version already.

HTH,
Brett

--
Brett Porter