Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Peter Coetzee <pe...@coetzee.org> on 2014/10/20 10:00:51 UTC

New research using Accumulo: Unified Secure On-/Off-line Analytics

New open-access research published in the journal of Parallel Computing
demonstrates a novel approach to engineering analytics for deployment in
streaming and batch contexts.

Increasing numbers of users are extracting real value from their data using
tools like IBM InfoSphere Streams for near-real-time analysis and Apache
Spark across their historical data in Accumulo.

Until now, there hasn't been an approach which permits the use of these
tools from a single shared codebase, with deployment considerations
reserved until deployment time. Furthermore, it has been even harder to
permit this unified analysis while maintaining cell-level traces of the
security heritage for each datum an analytic produces.

Some highlights of the paper include:
  - A domain specific language (CRUCIBLE) and runtime models for on- and
off-line data analytics.
  - Detailed analysis of CRUCIBLE’s runtime performance in state-of-the-art
environments.
  - Development and detailed analysis of a set of runtime models for new
environments.
  - Performance comparison with native implementations and discussion of
optimisation steps.
  - Formulation of a primitive in the DSL that permits an analytic to be
run over multiple data sources.

The paper, Towards Unified Secure On- and Off-line Analytics at Scale, is
available free of charge from Elsevier:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167819114000842

I am one of the lead authors of the work, and would be more than happy to
discuss any aspects which catch your attention!

Peter

--
Peter Coetzee
Performance Computing and Visualisation PhD Candidate

Re: New research using Accumulo: Unified Secure On-/Off-line Analytics

Posted by Peter Coetzee <pe...@coetzee.org>.
That's correct, yes (and hopefully the body text agrees with your reading
of the data?). The 10x slowdown is one of the reasons I suggest that
complex networks of Iterators are probably not a sound approach to
implementing CRUCIBLE-style analytics, although it can be made to work.
This motivated the implementation of the Spark runtime for CRUCIBLE, which
gives a couple of orders of magnitude better performance (the gap between
Accumulo v1 and Spark-Accumulo is around 480x, I believe).

There's something to be said for using the right tool for the job :)

All the best,
Peter

Posted by Jeremy Kepner <ke...@ll.mit.edu>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Peter Coetzee <pe...@coetzee.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Kepner <ke...@ll.mit.edu>.

Posted by Peter Coetzee <pe...@coetzee.org>.
Hi Jeremy,

Posted by Jeremy Kepner <ke...@ll.mit.edu>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Peter Coetzee <pe...@coetzee.org>.
David, All,

I've managed to get together a version of the code I can publish. There's a
basic quickstart guide to getting it installed and running in Eclipse at
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/people/research/csrmab/crucible/quickstart,
as well as links to the source and binaries. I've not had much opportunity
to test this outside of my own environment, so all the usual "untested
research code" caveats apply. Hopefully it'll be a useful illustration of
the approach and concepts put forward in the paper, at least!

All the best,
Peter

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Coetzee <pe...@coetzee.org>.