Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/10/24 22:40:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] What is the purpose of merge vote threads?

I've realized that I'm very confused about the purpose and the process of
merge votes.  I'd like to use this thread for clarification so that we all
know exactly what our votes on a merge thread mean.  It's possible that
we'll even want to reconsider whether or not merge vote threads are useful.

>From what I can tell, there is no concrete action taken as a result of a
merge vote thread.  If the vote passes, nothing happens.  If the vote
doesn't pass, nothing happens.  Instead, it is the +1 vote on the merge
patch in jira that really drives action.  This differs from all other
voting topics, which do result in some concrete action if passed (new
release, change to the bylaws, etc.).  Considering that, what value do we
get from merge vote threads?

It seems the merge votes could be replaced entirely by the traditional code
review and commit process.  Committers can respond directly on the umbrella
jira with +1 (or -1 and a list of what needs to be done to earn a +1).  The
merge vote threads may in fact be detrimental, because they fork relevant
technical discussion away from the jira and into the mailing lists.  Would
it be appropriate for us to say that the real merge vote happens on the
jira and do away with the process of conducting a separate vote on the
mailing list?

Also, I don't see consistency in this process across sub-projects.  Merge
vote threads have been more frequent in HDFS than YARN.  If we continue to
use merge vote threads, then do we need to do this consistently across the
sub-projects?

My first inclination was to review the bylaws for clarification.  The
bylaws don't call out merges as a separate voting topic.  Instead, merges
just fall under Code Change with the extra requirement of 3 +1s from
committers instead of 1.  Again, this sounds like activity better suited to
the jira in question, where the proposed action is to commit a code change,
and committers and contributors enter comments to vote on acceptance of the
code and related artifacts like design docs and test plans.

Of course, there may be a need to announce that a big feature is almost
ready and needs more reviewers.  That could be handled by an email to the
dev lists, but I don't see the benefit of labeling that as a vote.  Best
case scenario, the vote is redundant with the more meaningful activity
happening on the jira.  Worst case scenario, the vote is a distraction and
introduces an artificial 7-day delay on code that has already received
votes in jira.

Until I get some clarification on this, I don't think I can participate in
further merge vote threads in good conscience.  I'll continue to offer my
+1 or -1 directly on feature jiras, where I know with certainty that I'm
voting on whether or not to accept something tangible.

Thank you!

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [DISCUSS] What is the purpose of merge vote threads?

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Here's my take, FWIW.  The entire project needs to determine whether
> it is willing to take on the maintenance of code developed in a
> branch.  This vote needs the widest audience.  On the other hand,
> discussion on the umbrella Jira for the branch concerns the precise
> details of the merge commit.  Even if the project is generally willing
> to accept maintenance of the code in a branch, committing it should
> not break the build that day.  So fine-tuning the precise details of
> the merge often happens in Jira rather than as a part of the formal
> merge vote.  Sometimes these are determined in parallel.
>
> Since a -1 must always be accompanied by a rationale, it should be
> clear whether such a vote concerns a fine point of the specific patch
> that's easily corrected or whether it's about a fundamental problem
> with the branch that will take longer to address.  Either sort might
> be cast in either place.  A fine-point objection shouldn't reset
> voting clocks and a fundamental objection concerns things that cannot
> be fixed in a voting window.  If something lies in the middle then
> should be discussion until consensus is reached about whether the
> merge date need be delayed, voting restarted later, etc.  I don't see
> a need for a more rigid policy here since we haven't seen things
> running amok around branch merges due to a lack of policy.
>
> Is that consistent with other folks understanding?

+1, I agree with all of this, and this is how I've always understood the
merge vote process myself.

Best,
Aaron

Re: [DISCUSS] What is the purpose of merge vote threads?

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Thank you to everyone who replied.  Even though it sounds like there is not
complete consensus on some of the finer points, I think I have a clearer
understanding on how to participate now.

I do think posting all requirements in jira before calling the merge vote
makes the process more effective.  Contributors who haven't been following
the branch closely can get up to speed quickly by reading a refreshed
design doc and test plan.  Getting a +1 from Jenkins before the vote helps
reviewers focus on the logic instead of problems that could be caught by
static analysis.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
It seems that overall the branch-merge voting threads are overloaded with multiple goals.

Like other things that we vote on, a DISCUSS/PROPOSAL thread upfront for the branch-merge should alleviate any concerns that any committer might have. Once that is done, [VOTE] thread can simply be a formality of running tests, commiter +1s etc.

Discussing on a voting thread is not productive.

Thanks,
+Vinod

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
I agree with what Nicholas is saying.

Feature branch merge votes are similar to traditional review-commit process.
That means the code should be ready, and pass the Jenkins build tests.
Also similar to regular patches where one describes what changes the
patch brings, having an updated design document (with change history
for the updates made to the design) helps people understand the design.
Updated user document for the feature helps end users to understand how the
feature works and helps them participate in testing. Finally, as expected
by every patch, we should have unit tests and also details of manual tests
done (with test plan for a feature).

This helps people participate in the voting/review more effectively.

There can be exceptions to the above list and some of the work could be
deferred. That could be captured in the jira, with the plan of how that
work gets done later. In such cases in the past we had
deferred merging the feature from trunk to a release branch until the work
was completed in trunk.

Granted some of the feature readiness activity can be done during voting.
But I fail to understand why expediting a feature that takes months to build
should try to optimize a week. Why not finish the requirements we have for
every patch for feature branch also?

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
(Resend)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for pointing this out.  I hadn't seen it, but I just caught up.

This proposal states that 3 binding +1 votes are required for a branch
merge, which makes sense to me.  My confusion arises from the fact that
I've seen the voting happening in 2 different places in 2 different ways
simultaneously: either directly on the jira with a finalized merge patch or
in an email thread.  In the latter case, the process hasn't been
consistent.  Sometimes the finalized merge patch is posted before the vote
begins, and sometimes the proposal comes with a dev plan describing
remaining work intended to be finished before the merge.

When the voting happens on jira with a finalized merge patch, I know
exactly what I'm voting for, because it's the same review-and-commit
process that we follow every day with the extra requirement of 3 +1s.  When
it happens on email, it's less clear to me exactly what I'm voting for.

Whether the relevant voting happens on jira or email, this all comes down
to process questions around merges.  To make this more specific, here are a
few questions:

Is a 7-day voting period required?  This isn't stated in the bylaws or the
original proposal.

Does the vote begin when the devs present a finalized merge patch, or can
the vote begin earlier with intent to finish a few things before the vote
concludes?

If someone casts a binding -1, does that reset the clock on the vote?

If someone finds something that needs to be fixed, but doesn't cast a

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@apache.org>.
Hi Chris,