Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/25 04:49:43 UTC

[OFF-LIST] Re: Install guide in Open Document and PDF format, what say you?

On 1/24/06, David M Johnson <Da...@sun.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2006, at 9:35 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I understand your points about non-technical people collaborating
> > on docs,
> > Dave, but I would expect some pushback.  People are likely to feel
> > that
> > documentation for ASF projects should not be used to promote other
> > agendas.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "promoting an other agenda" -- I
> thought
> getting non-tech people to collaborate was part of the ASF agenda. Is
> that really
> going against the grain of the ASF?

The usual company sensitivity I presume. Unsure if Noel's suggesting
that, or that he thinks that people will suggest that.

To counter this; does the IBM team have testers/documentation writers
who Elias is suggesting might be interested in helping out, or is this
mostly something just on your team at the moment?

I could ask Carrie if she'd edit the document for us :)

Hen

Re: Install guide in Open Document and PDF format, what say you?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/24/06, David M Johnson <Da...@sun.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 24, 2006, at 9:35 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > I understand your points about non-technical people collaborating
> > > on docs,
> > > Dave, but I would expect some pushback.  People are likely to feel
> > > that
> > > documentation for ASF projects should not be used to promote other
> > > agendas.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean by "promoting an other agenda" -- I
> > thought
> > getting non-tech people to collaborate was part of the ASF agenda. Is
> > that really
> > going against the grain of the ASF?
>
> The usual company sensitivity I presume. Unsure if Noel's suggesting
> that, or that he thinks that people will suggest that.
>
> To counter this; does the IBM team have testers/documentation writers
> who Elias is suggesting might be interested in helping out, or is this
> mostly something just on your team at the moment?
>
> I could ask Carrie if she'd edit the document for us :)

Ah well, I'm a plonker who shouldn't watch TV while emailing. :)

Gives everyone a nice laugh :)

Hen