Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com> on 2009/06/15 04:22:38 UTC

[PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Hello all,

I would like to formally present the incubator proposal for Apache
VXQuery, a Java based XQuery processor, for a vote

The full proposal can be found at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/VXQueryProposal

Thanks,
Vinayak

Re: [DOCUMENTATION ERROR] Documenting sponsorship by another PMC

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 23:30, Noel J. Bergman<no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> ant elder wrote:
>
>> See:
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Approval+of+Pr
> oposal+by+Sponsor
>
> There is an uncorrected defect in that process document. It says, in part,
> that the sponsoring PMC must provide the Incubator PMC with:
>
>  * a reference to the results of the vote (so as to provide an audit trail
> for the records);
>  * a reference to the Candidate's proposal;
>
> AND ...
>
>  * the Mentors, nominated by the Sponsor, who will guide the Candidate
> through the Incubation Process.
>    At least one nominated Mentor MUST be a member of the Apache Software
> Foundation.
>
> That third one, while partially correct, is in error.  Mentors are Incubator
> PMC Members, and no one can impose Membership on the Incubator PMC.  If the
> proposed Mentors are ASF Members, they can (and must -- we won't do it by
> implication) request PMC Membership.  If the proposed Mentors are not ASF
> Members, they must request a vote, which is may or may not be successful.

Do you have a patch?

  Bernd

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ant,

We had a discussion earlier at XMLBeans about sponsoring VXQuery, but there
wasn't an official vote. I didn't know this route was available, I thought
the Incubator PMC has to approve it. So, we'll take it on the XMLBeans with
an official vote.

Cezar Andrei
XMLBeans PMC Chair

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
ant elder wrote:

> See:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Approval+of+Pr
oposal+by+Sponsor

There is an uncorrected defect in that process document. It says, in part,
that the sponsoring PMC must provide the Incubator PMC with:

  * a reference to the results of the vote (so as to provide an audit trail
for the records);
  * a reference to the Candidate's proposal;

AND ...

  * the Mentors, nominated by the Sponsor, who will guide the Candidate
through the Incubation Process.
    At least one nominated Mentor MUST be a member of the Apache Software
Foundation.

That third one, while partially correct, is in error.  Mentors are Incubator
PMC Members, and no one can impose Membership on the Incubator PMC.  If the
proposed Mentors are ASF Members, they can (and must -- we won't do it by
implication) request PMC Membership.  If the proposed Mentors are not ASF
Members, they must request a vote, which is may or may not be successful.

	--- Noel

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Vinayak Borkar<vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to formally present the incubator proposal for Apache VXQuery,
> a Java based XQuery processor, for a vote
>
> The full proposal can be found at
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/VXQueryProposal
>
> Thanks,
> Vinayak

The proposal lists the sponsor as XMLBeans, was there a vote there for
this? If so then you may not need a vote here as the Incubator policy
doc says just notifying the Incubator followed by a 72 hour wait is
enough. See: http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Approval+of+Proposal+by+Sponsor

  ...ant

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Paul,

Looking forward to the incubation.

Vinayak

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Paul,

Looking forward to incubation.

Vinayak

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations. I am travelling so I can't do any project setup right
now. I'll be able to get cracking on Thursday/Friday.

Paul

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Vinayak Borkar<vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Bertrand.
>
> This project has 6 +1 binding votes, 2 +1 non-binding votes, 0 -1 votes.
> The proposal has been on the voting thread for about 3 weeks.
>
> Can we now move to the next step to get the podling created?
>
> Thanks,
> Vinayak
>
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> Done.
>>
>> Thanks - here's the list so that it also gets archived in this thread:
>>
>> Nominated Mentors
>>
>>      Paul Fremantle <pzfreo at gmail dot com> [ASF member]
>>      Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva at opensource dot lk> [ASF Member]
>>      Radu Preotiuc-Pietro <radup at apache dot org> [Non ASF member]
>>      Jochen Wiedmann <jochen dot wiedmann at gmail dot com> [Non ASF
>> member]
>>
>> -Bertrand

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
Very cool :)

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Bertrand.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. I was just checking - the CLAs are all received now.

Thanks
Paul

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Vinayak Borkar<vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Paul,
>
> It is my understanding that all the committers have already sent in the
> CLAs. Can you please let me know if the icla.txt file indicates otherwise?
>
> Thanks,
> Vinayak
>
> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>>
>> Will all the proposed committers please make sure you have faxed or
>> emailed the CLA
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
>>
>> to the Secretary to ensure we can move forwards.
>>
>> Paul

>>> Done.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vinayak

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Paul,

initial incubation steps for new podlings

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> >>
> >> I suggest that the podling use Jira for tracking the start of a project... See
> >>
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-1
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-1
> >>
> >> for a reasonable template on what is needed.
> >
> > However please move sub-task #6 on those lists
> > to be the first task,
> > i.e. "Add project to Reporting Schedule"
> >
> > This is in line with the docs:
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#Overview
> > http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#steps
>
> Well, when I created those, there was no inherent order in the list,
> just the order they came to my mind. And at any given point in time, I
> would look at the list and say "What do I have energy and time for
> doing now?" and pick one. IMHO, forcing a particular order will only
> slow the overall progress down. (Not really the case for your
> suggestion since it is one of the 'quick' ones.)

There are two important steps that need to happen early:
1) Add project to Reporting Schedule
2) Add project to Incubation Table

(The latter is documented as part of the "Status page" task.
Perhaps we should separate it - just add an entry to the
site-author/projects/index.xml source, and do the Status page
later sometime.)

These two enable IPMC members to know which project
is due to report, and who are their mentors.
Without this information, the IPMC has been losing track.
These are the two very simple tasks that enable Clutch
to start helping.

The order for the rest of the tasks does not matter.

> Anyway, I have made
> the change suggested.

Thanks, if those get quoted as templates, then this order helps.

-David

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
The mailing lists are now active. Can all the committers and mentors
please subscribe by sending mail to

 mailto:vxquery-dev-subscribe@incubator.apache.org
 mailto:vxquery-private-subscribe@incubator.apache.org (for the
Podling Project Management Committee). I'm assuming we will bootstrap
the PPMC with the three initial committers plus the mentors.

Devs can also subscribe to

mailto:vxquery-commits-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

Thanks
Paul

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
New committers: do any of you need your employers to sign a CCLA?
Please see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Please can you let me know if we need CCLAs or not and if so, whether
they are already in place.

Thanks
Paul

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Paul Fremantle<pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would the new committers please check that they can effectively check
> out and update files in SVN location:
>
> Incubator team - please bear with us using this thread until the
> mailing lists are setup.
>
> Thanks
> Paul
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Niclas Hedhman<ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

>>> However please move sub-task #6 on those lists
>>> to be the first task,
>>> i.e. "Add project to Reporting Schedule"
>>
>> Well, when I created those, there was no inherent order in the list,
>> just the order they came to my mind. And at any given point in time, I
>> would look at the list and say "What do I have energy and time for
>> doing now?" and pick one. IMHO, forcing a particular order will only
>> slow the overall progress down. (Not really the case for your
>> suggestion since it is one of the 'quick' ones.) Anyway, I have made
>> the change suggested.
>>

>> Cheers
>> --
>> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
>> http://www.qi4j.org - New Energy for Java
>>
>> I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
>> I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
>> I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

> Paul Fremantle
> Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
> Apache Synapse PMC Chair
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Paul. My userid is vinayakb.

Vinayak

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone.

Here is the JIRA:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-1

Please can any committers who don't have a JIRA account create one and
send me their userid. I will add you to the vxquery-developers group.

Paul

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 6:01 AM, David Crossley<cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> I suggest that the podling use Jira for tracking the start of a project... See
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-1
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-1
>>
>> for a reasonable template on what is needed.
>
> However please move sub-task #6 on those lists
> to be the first task,
> i.e. "Add project to Reporting Schedule"
>
> This is in line with the docs:
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#Overview
> http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#steps
>
> -David

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Will all the proposed committers please make sure you have faxed or
emailed the CLA

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

to the Secretary to ensure we can move forwards.

Paul

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Vinayak Borkar<vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Please add the current list of mentors here and at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/VXQueryProposal for reference.
>
> Done.
>
> Thanks,
> Vinayak

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Vinayak Borkar<vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> As far as the votes go, we have:
>
> +1 (binding) Paul Fremantle
> +1 (binding) Noel J. Bergman
> +1 (binding) Niclas Hedhman
> +1 (non binding) Mohammad Nour El-Din
> +1 (non binding) Edward J. Yoon
>
> +1 (binding) Kevan Miller: Conditional on adding a second mentor.
> -1 (binding) Bertrand Delacretaz: Conditionally willing to make it +1 on
> adding a Mentor
>

> Now that we have Paul and Sanjiva as mentors, I would request the
> conditional voters (Kevan and Bertrand) to please recast their votes.

I revert my vote to a +1 now, thanks!

More than two mentors, with at least two ASF members in the mentors
roster, looks good to me.

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
As far as the votes go, we have:

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 and I'm willing to mentor.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 20, 2009, at 3:26 AM, Paul Fremantle wrote:

> Vinayak
>
> That is fine. This is the normal situation with the incubator. You
> will need to submit a software grant when you donate the code. I think
> Kevan is simply suggesting that the proposal needs updating to be
> clearer.

Right, just looking for clarity. Existence and source of a donation
should be understood, I think...

I share other's concern that additional mentors are needed. I'm +1,
once an additional mentor is identified.

--kevan

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Vinayak

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Vinayak Borkar<vb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kevan,
>
> I have been spending some time writing code for this project. Its by no
> means complete. I guess that would mean I would be donating the code I have
> so far, and further development would continue from there.
>
> Is there something different I need to do in this case?
>
> Thanks,
> Vinayak
>

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 14, 2009, at 10:22 PM, Vinayak Borkar wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I would like to formally present the incubator proposal for Apache
>>> VXQuery, a Java based XQuery processor, for a vote
>>>
>>> The full proposal can be found at
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/VXQueryProposal
>>
>> My apologies, I missed the original discussion of your proposal. One
>> question:
>>
>> Is this a proposal to generate code from scratch? Or is there an existing
>> codebase which will be donated? There's a mix of tenses used to describe
>> VXQuery (e.g. "VXQuery works on..."). So, I'm not sure if code already
>> exists, or if this is going to be all new code...
>>
>> --kevan

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Kevan,

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me. I'm hoping maybe one or two of other mentors might join (hint, hint)

Paul

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Noel J. Bergman<no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> I am +1 to start Incubation, but not pleased to see only one Mentor on your
> list.  I see that this project is going to come to us formally from the
> XMLBeans PMC.  I would expect a better (more complete) Mentor list when they
> resubmit.
>
> And I would hope to see community growth, including other participants from
> the XMLBeans project.
>
>        --- Noel

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:38 AM, William A. Rowe,
Jr.<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>> Honestly, Niclas,
>>
>> but if you and possibly others that strict, then we should change the
>> official policy. I do not doubt the reasons you give, but such a
>> statement seems difficult to me, if the official policy clearly
>> demands it, but insisting on more than the policy requests seems
>> questionable to me.
>
> It is policy, but the written policy may be badly explained :)

I think that Jochen is perhaps commenting on that the website still
says that ONE Mentor is required, when we in practice don't want that
kind of single-point of failure anymore.

Cheers

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Honestly, Niclas,
>
> but if you and possibly others that strict, then we should change the
> official policy. I do not doubt the reasons you give, but such a
> statement seems difficult to me, if the official policy clearly
> demands it, but insisting on more than the policy requests seems
> questionable to me.

It is policy, but the written policy may be badly explained :)

Mentor == Incubator PMC member.  That's required.

ASF member == automatic Incubator PMC member.  That's policy.

non-ASF member == nomination/voting process.  That's policy.

The problem is that unless a candidate demonstrates a clear competency
in the way that the ASF works, the expectations for ASF projects and
project committees, the meritocracy and collaboration required, and
their own successful participation in one or more PMC's, they simply
will be rejected as a an IPMC member and mentor.

Part of the confusion is that proposers read "Mentor" and think in
terms of software and project guidance.  That isn't what an Incubator
Mentor provides (although they may offer some of that too :).  Mentors
in the incubator are there to ensure the project quickly assimilates
enough ASF culture to successfully graduate and follow the ASF foundation
policies.

So someone who might be a natural software development mentor does not
help the project in the mission of becoming an ASF top level project,
not unless that are already immersed in the ASF at one or more projects,
themselves.

I'm not commenting on Radu Preotiuc-Pietro, who has been at XMLBeans PMC
since 2005, and if Radu has followed such lists as this one, legal-discuss,
etc, would make a fine mentor.  Just clarifying what -is- policy today,
and what the common misunderstandings are.

Re: Mentors, Members, Non-Members, Proposals and Scale

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Noel J. Bergman<no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> HOWEVER, I disagree with your comment that:
>
>> I am looking for Mentors with capital M, and that requires PMC
>> membership. Without ASF membership, there are quite a lot of
>> tasks that can't be done
>
> While that may be true, there are plenty of others here who can do those
> mechanical tasks.

Ok, take a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-1 for a
fairly complete list on what it takes to set up a podling. If you call
that "mechanical tasks", then I would like to receive some ideas how I
can automate that, because it is fairly tedious... and AFAICT few of
those can be performed by non-PMC members.

>  As noted above, and separately by Bill, if there is a
> non-ASF Member who wants to join the Incubator, they can place their hat in
> the ring, and we can vote on their request on its merits, same as any other
> PMC.

Ok, I have no in principle problem with that...

Cheers

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> if you take a look at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ you can
> see that the majority of active podlings have many Mentors.

Yes, we have strongly encouraged it.

> It is also worrying to me that there is not a line of ASF Members
> willing to back the proposal by becoming Mentors.

There could be multiple reasons, not least of which would be your thought
that:

> It could be that those who back it are too busy with other podlings
> and don't have the bandwidth.

And I largely agree with you that:

> IF there are Members who want this, my kind of position will force
> those to step up, Incubator needs more hands... All of us won't be
> here forever...

People have asked about the scalability of the Incubator.  I believe that we
scale in proportion to the willingness of ASF Members to step up and work
here.  If we don't have ASF Members, or others who while not a Member we are
willing to elect as a PMC Member, then *THAT* is what puts the brakes on
Incubator growth.

HOWEVER, I disagree with your comment that:

> I am looking for Mentors with capital M, and that requires PMC
> membership. Without ASF membership, there are quite a lot of
> tasks that can't be done

While that may be true, there are plenty of others here who can do those
mechanical tasks.  As noted above, and separately by Bill, if there is a

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Niclas Hedhman<ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> I assuming you are protesting against the "more than 1 Mentor"
> attitude that I and others have...

Not as such. I am simply suggesting that we should change the policy
explicitly, so that it does match reality.

Jochen

--
Don't trust a government that doesn't trust you.

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Jochen
Wiedmann<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Honestly, Niclas,
>
> but if you and possibly others that strict, then we should change the
> official policy.

I assuming you are protesting against the "more than 1 Mentor"
attitude that I and others have...

In reality, this has been informal guideline for quite some time, so
if you take a look at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ you can
see that the majority of active podlings have many Mentors. Yes, there
are exceptions, typically old projects, but I wouldn't mind turning
informal guideline into formal policy.

It is also worrying to me that there is not a line of ASF Members
willing to back the proposal by becoming Mentors. It could be that
those who back it are too busy with other podlings and don't have the
bandwidth. But, I honestly think that IF there are Members who want

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 10:04 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Honestly, Niclas,
>
> but if you and possibly others that strict, then we should change the
> official policy. I do not doubt the reasons you give, but such a
> statement seems difficult to me, if the official policy clearly
> demands it, but insisting on more than the policy requests seems
> questionable to me.

There is a natural similarity between ASF membership and the tasks
undertaken by mentors, leaving the authorisation issues aside.

What _IS_ required is that all mentors be Incubator PMC members. While
any ASF member can become an Incubator PMC member just by asking, others
do so (relatively infrequently) as any normal PMC - an existing PMC
member proposes them and a vote happens.

There will still be some tasks (e.g. handling ICLAs) that they wouldn't
have the permissions to handle, but their vote would be a binding one on
releases, committers, etc.

Upayavira

Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Apache VXQuery

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Honestly, Niclas,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@gmail.com>.
Radu Preotiuc-Pietro has agreed to be a mentor for VXQuery, he is a
member of XMLBeans PMC.

The Incubation Policy:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Mentor
specifies that: "A Podling has one or more Mentors, one of which MUST
be an Apache Member."

Radu is not a ASF member, but Paul is, according to
http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html .

This means that VXQuery would have 2 mentors one of which is an ASF member.

Would this be acceptable to the Incubator PMC, specifically to
Bertrand, Niclas and Kevan?

Thank you,
Cezar Andrei

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Bertrand
Delacretaz<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Noel J. Bergman<no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> ...I am +1 to start Incubation, but not pleased to see only one Mentor on your
>> list.  I see that this project is going to come to us formally from the
>> XMLBeans PMC.  I would expect a better (more complete) Mentor list when they
>> resubmit....
>
> Same here, or more precisely I'm -1 on incubating with only one
> mentor, and will change that to a +1 once at least two mentors are
> listed.

Agree to that.

Cheers

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vb...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

Please find the proposal inline.

Thanks,
Vinayak

VXQueryProposal
Abstract

Apache VXQuery is a language processor that implements the XML Query
Language v1.0 standardized by the W3C.
Proposal

VXQuery (Versatile XQuery) will be a standards compliant XML Query
processor implemented in Java. We believe that there exists a strong
(and growing) need to process semi-structured data in many applications.
The W3C standardized v1.0 of the XML Query Language in early 2007. Since
then, a few processors have surfaced (both commercial and open source).
VXQuery will implement this standard.

VXQuery plans to be the glue that brings together imperative programming
in Java and declarative programming in XQuery. The project would enable
developers to use XQuery to navigate and transform application objects
declaratively in Java applications with minimal overhead.

In the VXQuery project we plan to build an implementation that allows
users to run declarative XQueries on arbitrary object models. Existing
XQuery engines execute queries by translating the user data into some
form of XML Object model. With VXQuery, we take the opposing view -
Translate the query to work natively on the user's object model.

In addition, VXQuery works on top of different XML representations
including DOM, Stax, and a space optimized model motivated by Xalan's
DTM (Document Table Model).

VXQuery will also provide a library that allows application developers
to express declarative queries without the need to learn a new syntax.
We believe that this will speed up the adoption process.
Current Status

This is a new project. The development of this proposal is complete and
ready for a vote.
Meritocracy

The initial developers are very familiar with meritocratic open source
development at Apache. Apache was chosen specifically because the
initial developers want to encourage this style of development for the
project.
Community

VXQuery seeks to develop developer and user communities during incubation.
Core Developers

The core members of the project are diverse. Vinayak Borkar is an
independent consultant. Till Westmann works for a company that would be
a potential consumer of VXQuery. During incubation the developers base
will be broadened.
Alignment

XQuery is gaining more traction as a XML management technology and there
already are several Apache projects ([WWW] XMLBeans, [WWW] Camel, [WWW]
Tuscany, [WWW] Synapse) that use or need a XQuery implementation. As no
such implementation is available as an Apache project these projects
have to rely on external engines. VXQuery can fill this gap and
complement the XML support of the Apache Software Foundation.
Known Risks
Orphaned products

VXQuery is new development.
Inexperience with Open Source

The initial developers include long-time open source developers. Vinayak
Borkar is an active contributor to the Zorba project at the FLWOR
foundation.
Relationships with Other Apache Products

XMLBeans is a representation of XML that would be natively supported in
VXQuery. Therefore VXQuery can be used as an efficient and
Apache-licensed implementation for the [WWW] selectPath and execQuery
methods found in XMLBeans.

Similarly, [WWW] Tuscany's SDO implementation can be natively supported
and VXQuery can be used to provide an [WWW] XQuery implementation for
Tuscany.

VXQuery can also be used as an XQuery implementation for [WWW] Camel,
and [WWW] Synapse.

Further, VXQuery uses the Xerces XML parser and schema validator.
A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand

We believe in the processes, systems, and framework Apache has put in
place. Apache is also known to foster a great community around their
projects and provide exposure. While these points are important, they
are not the main motivation for choosing Apache to host VXQuery.
Documentation

Not publicly available
Initial Source

Not publicly available
External Dependencies

[WWW] JavaCC (BSD license), [WWW] Davos SDO implementation (Apache 2.0
license), [WWW] Woodstox XML parser (Apache 2.0 license), [WWW] XStream
project (BSD license)
Required Resources
Developer and user mailing lists

[MAILTO] vxquery-dev@incubator.apache.org [MAILTO]
vxquery-users@incubator.apache.org [MAILTO]
vxquery-commits@incubator.apache.org
A subversion repository

[WWW] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/vxquery
A JIRA issue tracker

VXQuery (VXQUERY)
Initial Committers

     *  Vinayak Borkar <vborky at yahoo dot com> [Submitted CLA]
     *  Till Westmann <till at westmann dot org> [Submitted CLA]
     *  Cezar Andrei <cezar at apache dot org> [Have CLA]
     *  Michael Carey <mjcarey at ics dot uci dot edu> [Submitted CLA]

Sponsors

     * XMLBeans PMC

Champion

     * Cezar Andrei