Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> on 2005/11/10 10:56:06 UTC

[users@httpd] basic auth config

I'm attempting to set up basic auth without .htaccess files and cannot
see where I'm going wrong. I haven't tried it with .htaccess because I
don't particularly want to use them.

I have read the mod_auth and Authorization and Access Control docs as
well as Chapter 2 of Ivan Ristic's Apache Security. I'm not claiming I
have actually understood everything I read but I think I've done what is
required.

In addition, I checked that all the directories nominated are correct. I
also restarted the computer (SuSE 9.1) as well as the server (2.0.53)
and the browser on a networked machine. Several times.

The actual problem is that I can browse to a file in the directory and
it it comes up without requesting authorization.

The config info I have been tweaking is listed below.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards

mike

In /etc/Apache2/conf.d - basic_auth.conf which only contains ...

<Directory /svr/www/htdocs/auth/mcfs>
     AuthType Basic
     AuthName "MCFS Action"
     AuthUserFile /svr/www/data/pwl/action/memb
     Require valid-user
</Directory>

All *.conf files in that directory are definitely processed by Apache. I
know this because the Subversion.conf file is in there and that works
well. Apache is working perfectly - the problem is mine.

Here is an edited extract of my /etc/Apache2/httpd.conf ...

# forbid access to the entire filesystem by default
<Directory />
     Options None
     AllowOverride None
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
</Directory>
#

Here is an edited extract of my /etc/Apache2/default_server.conf ...

#
DocumentRoot "/srv/www/htdocs"
#
<Directory "/srv/www/htdocs">
	Options None
	AllowOverride None
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
</Directory>

Re: [users@httpd] basic auth config

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>

>>2) looking at the wrong config file;
>>
>>Not sure about that. I'm gunna strip things back and try to start from
>>scratch.
>

> Lets go back to what Nick asked you.  Your answer to him was
> ambiguous.  When you put some random garbage in the config file (like
> a directive FooBar that doesn't exist) and restarted the server, did
> you or did you not receive an error message saying that there was a
> syntax error.  If not, you are not editting the correct config file.

I had to go out when I wrote 'I'm gunna ...' (above) and I have just got
back after a tough day.

I did put some klslxlkfgdskhg garbage in and nothing strange happened.
Nothing showed up in the error_log. I totally agree with your deduction
that I'm editing the wrong file and I'll tip-toe through all the changes
I made since day one and see if I can see a foo poops which might have
caused it.

Thanks again

Mike

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.
Joshua

I'm convinced Apache 2.0.53 doesn't work as advertised in the docs when
you try to get Basic Auth working without a .htaccess file.

I can get it to request a userid and password with AllowOverride
AuthConfig and using a .htaccess file.

Which brings me to a followup question ...

It doesn't like the passwords in the password file. They work fine under
Apache 1.3 on my ISP's Linux server. I used htpasswd to create the
passwords.

Is there way to force Apache2 to use DES or whatever Apache 1.3 is
comfortable with?

Thanks for being there

Mike

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
>>2) looking at the wrong config file;
>>

> Lets go back to what Nick asked you.  Your answer to him was
> ambiguous.  When you put some random garbage in the config file (like
> a directive FooBar that doesn't exist) and restarted the server, did
> you or did you not receive an error message saying that there was a
> syntax error.  If not, you are not editting the correct config file.

OK - I didn't get enough time to go back to square one but I stuck some
garbage back into /etc/apache2/conf.d/basic_auth.conf as follows ...

<Directory /svr/www/htdocs/auth/mcfs>
     Deny from all
     AuthType Basic
     AuthName "MCFS Academics"
     AuthUserFile /svr/www/data/pwl/academics/memb
     Require valid-user
     FooBar Nonsense
</Directory>

... and then tried ...

# /usr/sbin/apache2ctl configtest
Syntax error on line 7 of /etc/apache2/conf.d/basic_auth.conf:
Invalid command 'FooBar', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration
#

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>
>>They are identical. There was no trailing slash but sticking that in
>>made no difference anyway so I took it out again.
>

> It would help if you gave us the exact error message.  Sometimes a few
> hundred more eyes can find things that you missed.

<error_log>

Note - I have left out swathes of shutting down and resuming where I
tried different things as explained originally

[Fri Nov 11 07:51:59 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.38] File does not
exist: /srv/www/htdocs/auth/mcfs/x.html
[Fri Nov 11 07:55:21 2005] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart
[Fri Nov 11 07:55:21 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.53 (Linux/SUSE)
configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Nov 11 07:56:03 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.38] File does not
exist: /srv/www/htdocs/auth/mcfs/x.html
[Fri Nov 11 08:38:27 2005] [error] [client 192.168.0.22] File does not
exist: /srv/www/htdocs/auth/mcfs/x.html

</error_log>

> When you say "made no difference", I'm assuming that the problem is
> that you get no prompt for authentication and are given the file
> directly?

True

  And this is true even trying from a different computer (to
> eliminate possible caching problems)?

192.168.0.22 is my desktop WinXP
192.168.0.38 is my laptop WinXP

> Try putting "Deny from all" in that directory block to see if that has
> an effect.

Nothing apparent.

If it doesn't, you are most likely either

1) using the wrong directory;

Definitely OK

2) looking at the wrong config file;

Not sure about that. I'm gunna strip things back and try to start from
scratch.

or 3) not reaching the server from the client because of some caching
issue.

Defintely not caching

Thanks

Mike

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 11/10/05, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:

> They are identical. There was no trailing slash but sticking that in
> made no difference anyway so I took it out again.

It would help if you gave us the exact error message.  Sometimes a few
hundred more eyes can find things that you missed.

When you say "made no difference", I'm assuming that the problem is
that you get no prompt for authentication and are given the file
directly?  And this is true even trying from a different computer (to
eliminate possible caching problems)?

Try putting "Deny from all" in that directory block to see if that has
an effect.  If it doesn't, you are most likely either 1) using the
wrong directory; 2) looking at the wrong config file; or 3) not

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 11/10/05, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Nick Kew wrote:

>>>Check that that's being included.  Put some random junk in -
>>>if you don't get a syntax error, that's the problem.
>>
>>I did that but everything seemed as previously. I then put the contents
>>of basic_auth.conf into default_server.conf but no joy. Then I put it it
>>in httpd.conf and still nothing.
>>

> Next try requesting a non-existent file in that directory and check
> what the error_log says about the actual path it is looking at.  See
> if that path corresponds to the path in your <Directory> section.

They are identical. There was no trailing slash but sticking that in
made no difference anyway so I took it out again.

Thanks

:(

Mike

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>.
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 09:56, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
>

>>In /etc/Apache2/conf.d - basic_auth.conf which only contains ...
>

> Check that that's being included.  Put some random junk in -
> if you don't get a syntax error, that's the problem.

I did that but everything seemed as previously. I then put the contents
of basic_auth.conf into default_server.conf but no joy. Then I put it it
in httpd.conf and still nothing.

>><Directory /svr/www/htdocs/auth/mcfs>
>

>># forbid access to the entire filesystem by default
>><Directory />
>

> You didn't quote any Satisfy directive.  I should put Satisfy All
> in there to make it a system-wide default.

Did that too. Didn't understand it but it didn't seem to do anything.
I'll head for bed and see whether my brain works in the morning.

Thanks Nick

Mike

Re: [users@httpd] basic auth config

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.