Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/07/10 18:25:31 UTC

Re: Serializer that writes to file

Someone correct me if I' m wrong but...

At the moment, I think you'll have to write an "Action" for this.  AFAIK
Serializers are currently tied to the
response output stream.  Personally, I think that cocoon should
ultimately seperate the location concern and
allow multiple serializers in a pipeline.  (the rationale being that
you'll need to display something as well).

However, one could conceptualize this instead as a transformer (although
its dirty):

my input---->transformer (writes to file) ------> different output
displayed to "user"

But I don't like that very much.

Perhaps this isn't a serializer at all, perhaps its some other widget
that uses a serializer, is passed a "location" (file in this case), and
provides status (which returns responsibility to the sitemap).
 Questions remain for instance on whether it consumes the SAX events
passed to it, etc.

But the short answer is " I don't think this is the appropriate place,
at the moment, to use a serializer"

-Andy