Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeff Krug <to...@krugs.org> on 2006/03/09 23:08:15 UTC

Requiring TLS with Tomcat 5.5.12

I have a Tomcat 5.5.12 install that is working well (it is a stand-alone
install under Windows 2003 server).  I was given a request to make this
install fully FIPS 140-2 compliant, specifically requiring that Tomcat
not allow SSL 3.0 protocol connections (TLS only).  My config specifies
sslProtocol="TLS" and everything works fine in terms of defaulting to
TLS, but the default behavior here is to allow SSL 3.0 as well (that is
part of the connection negotiation process, I suppose).

Is there a way to disallow the SSL 3.0 protocol?

Thanks,
Jeff Krug

Re: Requiring TLS with Tomcat 5.5.12

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Jeff Krug" <to...@krugs.org> wrote in message

> Thu, Mar 09, at 09:19:PM : Bill Barker has proclaimed:
>> "Jeff Krug" <to...@krugs.org> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to disallow the SSL 3.0 protocol?
>> >

>> protocols="TLS" on the <Connector /> tag.
>
> I added this, but it did not seem to alter the behavior.  Here is my
> connector tag:
>
> <Connector port="443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>           maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>           enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
>           acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
>           clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" protocols="TLS"
>           keystoreType="PKCS12"
>           keystoreFile="Path:\MyKeyStore.p12"
>           keystorePass="######"
>          />
>
> I can still connect using the SSL 3.0 protocol.  I don't see a protocols
> option listed anywhere in the Tomcat docs on Apache.org either.  Should
> this work?

My bad :(.  It should be protocols="TLSv1".

And, yes, it's an undocumented option.

Posted by Jeff Krug <to...@krugs.org>.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
When starting a new thread (ie sending a message to the list about a
new topic) please do not reply to an existing message and change the
subject line. To many of the list archiving services and mail clients
used by list subscribers this  makes your new message appear as part
of the old thread. This makes it harder for other users to find
relevant information when searching the lists.

This is known as thread hijacking and is behaviour that is frowned
upon on this list. Frequent offenders will be removed from the list.
It should also be noted that many list subscribers automatically
ignore any messages that hijack another thread.

The correct procedure is to create a new message with a new subject.
This will start a new thread.

Mark
tomcat-user-owner