Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org> on 2009/11/17 00:31:44 UTC

updating the website

Hi,

I've just added a cronjob on people to update the website once a day
from svn.
This seems to be what is suggested at http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html
  .
Did I get that right?

Thanks,
Till

Re: updating the website

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org> wrote:

> Wrt. cron I must have read what I wanted to read, it's not there on the page. What the page says is: "[...] then we just run 'svn update' in that directory to load the site from SVN."
> Do you know who "we" is in that sentence?

We, the maintainers. In this case, the VXQuery committers.

> Right now the site is generated into the "target" subdirectory of the vxquery directory and then
> deployed into the "site" directory at the root of the vxquery svn. There it will be manually
> submitted to svn by whoever generated the site. This is the usual way, right?

I usually configure Maven to deploy into my local directory, which
contains the checked out site, which I then commit. After that, an
"svn update" on people.apache.org does the job.

> When you say that manual editing of the site directory happens, that means that
> someone (who?) manually edits the site on people.apache.org and never submits
> those changes to svn. Is that correct?

I agree that this should not happen (without a commit), but I wouldn't
bet on it.

> In that case I agree that we could run into conflicts and we'd have to have a solution
> for those. As a forceful overwrite is probably not the best solution, we might want to
> reaise some form of alert to get human intervention.

I wouldn't bother too much. In all honesty, take care of the
documentation, which is
contained in your src/site directory and you can be sure that it
reaches the site eventually.
That's the important part. Automatic updates are nice to have. The
project is better off,
if you spend your time doing the important things.

Jochen

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Re: updating the website

Posted by Till Westmann <ti...@westmann.org>.
Jochen,

Wrt. cron I must have read what I wanted to read, it's not there on the page. What the page says is: "[...] then we just run 'svn update' in that directory to load the site from SVN."
Do you know who "we" is in that sentence?

Right now the site is generated into the "target" subdirectory of the vxquery directory and then deployed into the "site" directory at the root of the vxquery svn. There it will be manually submitted to svn by whoever generated the site. This is the usual way, right?
The cron job then does an svn update of the site directory on people.apache.org. In that case "we" would be the project and it's realized via a cron job.

When you say that manual editing of the site directory happens, that means that someone (who?) manually edits the site on people.apache.org and never submits those changes to svn. Is that correct? In that case I agree that we could run into conflicts and we'd have to have a solution for those. As a forceful overwrite is probably not the best solution, we might want to reaise some form of alert to get human intervention.

Did I get that right?

Thanks,
Till

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Re: updating the website

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!