Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ed4becky <ed...@ed4becky.org> on 2010/04/30 16:48:31 UTC

JBoss 4 and ActiveMQ standalone

I would like to configure an MDB running in JBoss to access a JMS message
queue running in a standalone ActiveMQ instance.

Most of the examples I see have ActiveMQ running an embedded broker within
JBoss, but my boss would like me to do a POC wherein ActiveMQ is NOT
embedded.

I am not sure the language to use in my search - is this bridging?  Is it
just a matter of the correct JNDI setup in Jboss? Or something fancier?

Any guidance or pointers is appreciated.

Re: JBoss 4 and ActiveMQ standalone

Posted by ed4becky <ed...@ed4becky.org>.
Thank you, I have it working now.

And thanks for the heads up on multiple brokers.

Re: JBoss 4 and ActiveMQ standalone

Posted by Ivan Pechorin <iv...@gmail.com>.
> Why would I have an activemq-ra.rar in $JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy if I am
> not embedding it?

You need resource adapter in order to connect your MDBs to ActiveMQ
broker. No matter whether you are embedding the broker, or not.

By the way, if you need to connect your MDBs to more than one broker,
you'll need multiple copies of activemq-ra.rar in your
$JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy: one resource adapter per each broker.

Re: JBoss 4 and ActiveMQ standalone

Posted by ed4becky <ed...@ed4becky.org>.

Posted by Ivan Pechorin <iv...@gmail.com>.
2010/4/30 ed4becky <ed...@ed4becky.org>:

> I would like to configure an MDB running in JBoss to access a JMS message
> queue running in a standalone ActiveMQ instance.

You should configure property "ServerUrl" of ActiveMQ Resource Adapter
(RA) to connect to your standalone ActiveMQ instance.

$JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy/activemq-ra.rar/META-INF/ra.xml:

    <resourceadapter>
        <resourceadapter-class>org.apache.activemq.ra.ActiveMQResourceAdapter</resourceadapter-class>
        <config-property>
            <description>
              The URL to the ActiveMQ server that you want this
connection to connect to.  If using
              an embedded broker, this value should be 'vm://localhost'.
            </description>
            <config-property-name>ServerUrl</config-property-name>
            <config-property-type>java.lang.String</config-property-type>
            <config-property-value>tcp://hostname:61616</config-property-value>
        </config-property>