Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/12/24 08:28:39 UTC

java name Re: What is Jakarta Commons?

Any idea how exactly the java trademark works with respect to our usage of
it?

For example, if we're talking about language based portals/foundries, can
we actually call it the 'Apache Java Portal'? Or some such.

How do Sourceforge get away with:

http://java.foundries.sourceforge.net/ ?

Presuming Jakarta remains as is, but some kind of Java-ASF-portal is also
created, I'm just wondering how the word 'Java' can be linked to the name
etc.

Hen

Re: java name Re: What is Jakarta Commons?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Dec 24, 2003, at 12:03 PM, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

> I believe (but I Am Not A Lawyer) that we can use the
> term "Java" to describe something on the homepage, but
> that it cannot be the title of a project, nor could it
> be used as a domain name.  Most sourceforge projects
> that do so are probably in error from a legal
> standpoint.

That is correct.  You couldn't have JavaLogging or such, but could
describe it as 'logging solution for Java'.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: java name Re: What is Jakarta Commons?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.