Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Aaron <aa...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/11 16:10:55 UTC

RPM fun...have OpenJDK 1.7 installed...Accumulo rpm wants "jre"

So, trying to use the RPMs to install Accumulo, ran into a issue, was
curious if anyone had this same problem.

Have Centos 6.4, OpenJDK 1.7, when we install accumulo via rpm, it looks
like it wants to install Java1.6.

Looking over the assemble.xml it there is the requirement to use "jre" and
when you do use yum, it wants to install 1.6

Anyone get around this, if we want to use 1.7 as our runtime?

Re: RPM fun...have OpenJDK 1.7 installed...Accumulo rpm wants "jre"

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Aaron, what version of Accumulo?

Posted by Aaron <aa...@gmail.com>.
It is Accumulo 1.5.

We'll try the force option..thanks

Cheers,
Aaron

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Unfortunately, the OpenJDK packaging for CentOS changed their provided
virtual packages to have a 7 in them for >= 1.7.0, as in:
jre7, java7, java7-sdk, java7-devel
instead of
jre, java, java-sdk, java-devel

Presumably, they did this to provide support for both being installed
at once, following RHEL's lead.
(FYI, this does not apply to Fedora, which does not mangle the virtual
packages, at least not in the the latest (F18). I haven't checked
other RPM-based systems).

Using "jre" as the virtual dependency, the RPM will accept either
OpenJDK (1.6 on RHEL/CentOS or 1.7 on Fedora) or Oracle's JVM, without
being explicitly tied to a version.

However, I wouldn't be too concerned about this. You can install both
on RHEL/CentOS systems easily. Accumulo will by default use whichever
$JAVA_HOME is resolved by `which java`, and you can manage that with
the alternatives system or by setting your path. The default with both
installed will be OpenJDK 1.7. Or, you can specify $JAVA_HOME
explicitly in your environment (or in conf/accumulo-env.sh), and that
will override Accumulo's trying to search for it.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii