Posted to user@spark.apache.org by bipin <bi...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/21 11:27:44 UTC

Spark SQL/DDF's for production

Hi I want to ask an issue I have faced while using Spark. I load dataframes
from parquet files. Some dataframes' parquet have lots of partitions, >10
million rows.

Running "where id = x" query on dataframe scans all partitions. When saving
to rdd object/parquet there is a partition column. The mentioned "where"
query on the partition column should zero in and only open possible
partitions. Sometimes I need to create index on other columns too to speed
things up. Without index I feel its not production ready.

I see there are two parts to do this:
Ability of spark SQL to create/use indexes - Mentioned as to be implemented
in documentation
Parquet index support- arriving in v2.0 currently it is v1.8

When can we hope to get index support that Spark SQL/catalyst can use. Is
anyone using Spark SQL in production. How did you handle this ?