Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Preston Podaril <pp...@newdigitalgroup.com> on 2005/05/06 17:09:22 UTC

[users@httpd] sleeping child processes

Does anyone know why my apache doesn't seem to kill all of its children
off?  Basically there are a few processes here and there that aren't
ever killed, but aren't ever given anything to do.

from top, these processes will sit like this until I manually kill them,
or restart apache:
   9226 nobody     3   0    0  150M   41M sleep    0:34  0.00% libhttpd.ep
  29812 nobody     3   0    0  149M   37M sleep    0:37  0.00% libhttpd.ep

A truss on the one just shows this over and over again:
sigsuspend(0xFFBE32D0)      (sleeping...)
signotifywait()         (sleeping...)
lwp_sema_wait(0xFDF0DE30)   (sleeping...)

I am running Apache 1.3.33 with php 4.3.11, with mod_gzip,
mod_auth_mysql, mod_ssl (although this server is not started with
startssl).  I am running on Solaris 8, and I have the MaxRequests set at
100 and MaxKeepAliveRequests at 1000.

Please give me any suggestions you can, I hate how I have to restart
apache almost every day atleast just to clean up all of these lazy
processes.  During really busy traffic times I may have to do it several
times a day because it seems the busier apache is the more of them show up.

Preston Podaril
ppod@newdigitalgroup.com
Network Administrator
New Digital Group