Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nicolas Mailhot <Ni...@one2team.com> on 2002/12/04 11:14:22 UTC

Exporting the same webapp on two different hosts

[ Please cc me any replies as I'm not subscribed to the list ]

Hi,

	I've been asked to export the same webapp on the same server on two
different hosts (basically the client wants to access the same server
both from its intranet and externally, but do not have nor want to setup
a network zone with good internal and external network connectivity. So
he just wants to add a second NIC to the server and give it a fit of
schizophrenia).

	The current setup is Apache - mod_jk - tomcat 3.3.1 - IBM SDK 1.3.0 -
RH 7.3.

	What I did is write a second app-foo.xml with a different Host pointing
on the same webapp dir (on a test server). It « seems » to work. However
I'd be really grateful if people could enlighten me on the following
points :
      * is it supposed to work (i.e. was this setup taken into account
        when tomcat was written) ?
      *  do anyone runs a similar setup in prod ?
      *  will the memory usage be closer to one or two webapps (i.e. is
        tomcat/the jvm/the system be smart enough to share resources
        between the two hosts ) ?
      *  will the result of jsp compiles be shared between the two hosts
        (it seems to be the case ) ?
      *  is there a risk of a component becoming confused ?
      *  what else should I look for ?

	As you see I'm a bit nervous since the sane answer would be to put the
server in a correct networking zone, so I'm not sure this have been
tried before. Any answer (partial or full) will be appreciated.

Nicolas Mailhot
One2team : 12 bis rue de la Pierre levée - 75011 Paris - France
Tél : + 33 1 43 38 19 80 - Fax : +33 1 43 14 23 07

Re: Exporting the same webapp on two different hosts

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
* It is supposed to work.
* Don't know, not me.
* Individual servlets will be loaded twice.  Actual memory usage depends on
your config.
* From your description, two copies of JSP pages.  There are tricks to make
it one (and also change the previous "*" to one) if you are running behind
Apache/IIS/iPlanet.
* In general, no if you stick to "best practices".  Otherwise, it's you're
code, you tell me :)

"Nicolas Mailhot" <Ni...@one2team.com> wrote in message